Verving the Pipeline: Multi Program Workflow

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: Verving the Pipeline: Multi Program Workflow

Cool c:!

Try this online one :beer:
http://hirnsohle.de/test/fractalLab/
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Really cool indeed!
Cannot wait to see characters in your fractal environment :hyper:
Even if that could be perillous :roll:
DA: http://ovn1.deviantart.com/
Insta: https://www.instagram.com/_ovn1_/
System Info: NVidia GeForce GTX 970

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 am

@ Taron, Thanks. To me the surprise images are the most fun and that place looks hungry :D

@Pilou, Thanks Frenchy. I tried that one long ago and just went back for fun :beer:

@ Ovn1 If anyone knows about their perilous situations it's you. I am very close to launching this thing off the ground. More words than pictures but I think I can bastardize it enough to slip into Webtoons Discover :D :beer:

I named this thread Verving the Pipeline originally when it was actually a personal workflow. Pipeline sounds so much better to the ear :D But a personal workflow still goes through departments especially in the project I am working on now. MoreOrLess is web copyrighted fortunately so I don't really mind going into the process I am undergoing assembling the pieces or assets I need to really dive into it. Because I am not a sequential artist I have to approach this another way. Ultimately I will be publishing MoreOrLess at Webtoons in a format for phone use.

MoreOrLess is really the culmination of two background universes and a number of stories I set in them. One is Science Fiction and the other Fantasy. The two universes collided in the 90's becoming my Bridgeworld series. (non published of course lol) Bridgeworld is one of the Nexus points of the Multiverse. "It's a place where Fantasy walks hand in hand with the hard struck lines of Reality and Science".

At one point I made the fortunate decision to enlist Ovn1 into the project simply because I love his style and his ability as a sequential artist is of a high caliber. I was quite happy when he accepted. Off and on for three years we bounced it back and forth mainly in character design. My next post will be about that and he gave me permission to post some of his work in that regard. It didn't work out because he just doesn't have a huge amount of time. Work and family. Those three years gave me the time to really dive into background detail and story flow however. I once took a sheet of possible alien races he drew up and assigned brief backgrounds to them all as either characters or races lol.

So I am without an artist and for now that is ok. Over the years I have assembled a vast collection of 3d resources that are free to render for commercial use. Freebies from everywhere lol. But also a rather large number I paid for. Because it's 3d it threw me in my very own little pipeline because you have still have to adapt those assets to the project at hand. That means Mix and Match in Poser and re texturing in Zbrush tweaking in Silo etc. I also want my own creations in it so I am taking the time to do a simply done cyborgish character. The Engineer. The Engineer is one of the lynch pins of the initial story and inhabits Engineer Hall which I posted earlier. If you look at my signature link you it takes you to a thread where he makes an appearance as my first rigged character lol. I have improved his mesh since then and am now prepping his head and neck for texturing. So the first image subject is all mine. I have him very low poly at this point.

The two images after that are using some of the assets I gathered for commercial work in Poser. I am looking for a steampunk feel. I took apart a robot to use his head and pieces as a helmet and rough armor. I retextured him but he isn't done yet. I made his base suit in Zbrush but There is more to do like completely making his pieces fit better. All of this for one scene lol. PLUS before Taron says anything "coff coff" I agree that the last metal ring in the abdomen area looks really strange. Almost as strange as the flare coming out of a characters butt in an earlier post of this thread. :lol: That ring is gone now :D

Tom
Screenshot - 7_3_2019 , 3_16_41 AM.jpg
Screenshot - 7_3_2019 , 3_16_41 AM.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 9370 times

Front.jpg
Front.jpg (166.88 KiB) Viewed 9370 times

side.jpg
side.jpg (161.96 KiB) Viewed 9370 times
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Cool realisation and mixing progs! c:!
F
Freebies from everywhere lol
:
I suppose that you have not missed my massive participation at this little one (from Nov 2003 - 1568 posts) at ZBC :mrgreen:
PS A cool modeler: Rocket 3F - Fast Fun Friendly and ...Free so 4 F :beer:
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:16 am

Hi Tom
This is an interesting mixture of different programs, and it definitely helps in searching for the "look" or "feel" of a proyect, though be careful about spreading too much the "look" of your plates.
I mean, the Engineer Hall looks very well lit, but sort of lacks color, meanwhile the characters are the oposite, they are very contrasted but miss the atmospheric perspective, and congruence of light sources.
I would suggest find a middle point, fine tune your creative process, aiming for a more compact depicting feel throughout your story.
Maybe by focusing on a tiny part of the story (an intro perhaps) just showing a very few characters and environments and how they work together, but developing them until its very final stage meaning leveling the disparities until they all are evenly depicted, would help to visualize the hole story.
congrats.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:22 am

Heh Thx Frenchy :)

I actually recall those olllldddd days at zbc lol Freebies are the backbone of the aspiring 3d artist. Gives them something to learn on :D I am taking careful notes on the ones I use. I may retexture them or alter them for the project but their creators will always be noted in the credits. I looked at Rocket. Very nice with a few features my Silo modeler lacks and Vice versa. I am liking the layout. The program I am skimming the surface of right now is actually Unreal game editor. I am thinking of it's stylized render settings and composite capability. Re discovered that getting Twin motion. First experiment will be importing into the program. I dont care about animation but can easily do so from Poser. Mine will be posed. Environments though... Again, it beats paying a thousand or so on Keyshot. The reason they offer the editor free is to attract new potential game creators. I will be using it a different way if I can learn the features I plan on using. I am timing my launch date for October or November. So I have a lot to do.

Thanks Ed :)

I use that look to come closer to comics but try and stop about half way. I will keep working on characters but have confined myself to the ones in the opening sequences. The overall look may be determined by how well I adapt to stylized rendering in Unreal but even if that doesn't work out I have other options to maintain consistency.

On images I have posted in this thread or showed to you and Olivier, the only finals are "Into the Eye" and the one I entered into an old Vue contest. Everything else including the Moons of Bridgeworld are explorations. I should post Moons final lol. Still not quite satisfied with it.

The background I used with the Nemonaut is not something I would use in a final without extreme workover. I just get tired of seeing characters in progress against a blank scene. He will be out in the ocean somewhere depicting the past ;) For maybe 3 scenes lol

Hmm on backgrounds and environments and Engineers Hall. I have colored versions of it also and have done several test scene composites. Again final overall look will be determined when I see how well I can Composite inside Unreal. I plan on using both Fractal and Verve backgrounds. Unreal may be a dead end but it also may be what I need to tie everything together, I will give it a month.

I will post a few test composites I will do first in Poser against a Verve background. I just expect Unreal to do it better.

Tom

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:16 am

Buyer Beware

Just an aside.

Every once in awhile I run into a paid product (in this case a couple of dollars) that really looks decent in the promos. I am not going to mention the creator of it. I thought it would look half decent with one of my main characters The Henchman. He has become less refined from my original thoughts on him and also American not English. The most I thought I would have to do was a quick retexture of his Jacket and name to fit the look I want. The face texture I did was quick and easy in Poser. His face geometry took a bit more time while I tried different morphs that I made in Zbrush. Now I have him sitting here disgusted because he has to wait for a tailor :p Trying to use this jacket results in extreme poke outs of its geometry. It's damn hard to keep it from going. Look at the geometry of the Jacket around his neck. I literally had to pose him and then take the jacket to zbrush to morph the pokeouts down while in posed form and back just to get this image lol.

Is it fixable? Yes. Box modeler and patience with Ngons while I do break dances across it stiching it up :p This model is otherwise well made excepting collar and the ngons. We will see when I re rig it and texture. Things like this block the workflow :? :)
Henchman's Coat.jpg
Henchman's Coat.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 9182 times

Henchman's Coat 3 4s.jpg
Henchman's Coat 3 4s.jpg (197.15 KiB) Viewed 9182 times

The Henchman 000.jpg
The Henchman 000.jpg (72.46 KiB) Viewed 9182 times

The Henchman 001.jpg
The Henchman 001.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 9182 times

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:57 am

Yet another nice reminder why I'm so happy to have left 3d behind me, haha! By now I would've probably considered writing my own 3d app altogether, including proper clothing simulation. Trying to nudge stuff into place can be so exhausting... :PP
Thanks for sharing, Tom!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 am

This Workflow (or a similar) looks very intersting ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKXshBq ... x46nGBEL4A
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:57 am

Heh Taron,

Yes very tedious work indeed but things seem to be getting better. in more extreme cases of poke thru I started making opacity maps to hide things with lol. i am a Great trim carpenter when I need to be btw lol :beer:

Thx Zero. i love seeing good workflows. Mine has changed considerably in the past 6 months while I learn and relearn things I had almost forgotten. especially Zbrush, Sculptris pro in ZB I am using Substance Painter now also and i have just started learning it.

All I can say is thank the graphic gods I have fixed my driver problems. Funny that I am going give my xp pen pro 22 to a local school. I suspect I will be called in for tech work if I do :p For now my old intuos will do.

I am going to start posting some of the things I have done while learning but will space them out. Some have been posted at RealAllusion which is funny. Taron did you know that this forum has more views for showcase and WIP works? :beer: lol

Next post after this I will post some of the 3d works where I have used Verve backgrounds and textures. The methods to get the Verve face textures done should be of interest. Also I did a short test film of a character dancing down a ball mountain that was the last Verve I painted. anyway I need to post it on you tube and give a link one day. So as you may have guessed Verve is definitely still in the pipeline.

On this image I took a Daz 3d character called the Lycan and severely messed with him and gave him normal maps. His head is essentially a double morph using the Lycan head as a base. I probably spent about 10 hours in Zbrush. I will ask Olivier's opinion on this later as he knows more about the project but I believe I finally have my race of general antagonists for the early stages of MoreOrless.

I was using their cousin race which I named the Bolshani-Dan but now I will put them back in their original place in the storyline and use this guy as the base for the Valdani. I am taking back the name for the Bolshani-Dan commander and naming this guy Dalcreed :D ( this for the very few people that know the early storyline).
Lycan morphed.jpg
Lycan morphed.jpg (504.17 KiB) Viewed 7497 times

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic