Verving the Pipeline: Multi Program Workflow

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Re: Verving the Pipeline: Multi Program Workflow

Uh, that one took me a moment to see properly before I saw the lower half, hehe. :hihi:
I do think the contrast between abstraction and crisp, smooth shapes in 3d is a bit harsh. Might be good to sort of ease one into the other, or find a way to lift her a bit out of the rest of the mush, you know. I think, a strong blue illumination on her face would also help bind the elements together. It's a nicely magical moment there, though!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Goblin girl is fantastic, last one almost not recognise able though. Would help to separate back and foreground more obvious.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks Taron, Thanks Knacki. :hug:

I think your suggestions pointed the way so I decided to try for a full render. I took the original background and pumped up the quality in Gigapixel then turned it into an hdri then added a few things and the model. Set everything for Iray in Daz and started a render. This was on my lap top. Not far into the render my lap top froze up and the graphic display started sputtering.I had to kill the process by pulling the plug And the battery. I took a deep breath and it restarted. 1050 graphics card in it. I tried rendering a different scene with success.

I am back on my main computer now trying a few other approaches and angles so instead of layered I will set up something completely different.

Another thing is the mistake I made on the image name. Hathor takes a look. I had Hathor on my mind for a future image but the central figure is Sekhmet! :lol:
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:29 am

May as well look at old projects while I wait on a render. Its been going for 4 hours so far and looks like it will take a lot longer. I have been taking another look at a series of images I did all collected under the title, "Always the Black Knight". This one was set towards the climax and was called the "Quiet Before the Storm". I did it in Bryce and that one took 2 days to render at 800x600 :lol: My main problem with it was the unnatural straight line of the bridge he is on, I intentionally went dark with it. Anyway I was considering on bringing it to Vue but played with a filter called pictopainting in Corel. Ordinarily I consider this to be a Useless filter because of the lack of parameter dials and slides and a way to save custom settings.
Quiet Before the Storm.jpg
Quiet Before the Storm.jpg (123.94 KiB) Viewed 7501 times

The New Dawn.jpg
The New Dawn.jpg (287.5 KiB) Viewed 7501 times

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:03 pm

ok Back to the image I needed to redo. I decided I would try it in 3d and still managed to go a different way. The style i was trying for had a Jeff Jones feel. Jeff who became Catherine later was a contemporary of Frazetta and was one of the 60's and 70's most prolific cover artists. I wanted that in the mist look he had and came nowhere close to it. I kind of failed at this one too and will tone the light down. My candles look like light bulbs :idea: :lol: . This could be the second to last attempt. There are 2 spheres here and the larger one can be barely seen so maybe some adjustments plus should have had the tentacles on her head showing motion going up like her sleeves. Too tired to start another render.
Curse of the A.I..jpg
Curse of the A.I..jpg (418.86 KiB) Viewed 7248 times

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 pm

Sheeeesh, that's almost a bit kinky... :hihi: ...
Jeff Jones, hmmm...well, I thought, I didn't know him/her, but I mainly just forgot. Slowly some memories are returning. Seems to me like Frazetta was heavily inspired by Jones. It's almost like a coin toss to say, who did a better job?! :shrug: ...but I feel like Jones may have been a wee bit more authentic. Still appreciate both and find it odd that I forgot about him/her. :?
Anyway, the key to either of their styles, including Boris, is to leave the background as un-detailed as possible, like suggestions only, focus almost entirely on the figure (protagonist) and whatever directly interacts with them. Make sure the background also has far less contrast...that's where the whole "fog" sensation comes from, but that may not have to be fog or haze and could be a mixture out of depth of field (out of focus), different lighting (vanish in the dark or washed out by too much light)...many possible approaches to let the background vanish. Put stark contrast only on the figure and it's direct elements (weapon, chalice, anything it may touch or wishes to touch). And try to keep it somewhat monochromatic, like reduce the color spectrum to around where you wish to have the figure, which also should have color-wise the most strength. That often comes from the lighting idea, too. The most light shows the most color.
Also, you may notice that on these old covers the camera hangs fairly low, having to look up at characters and won't show much floor. This way there's less near the main character that might distract from it.
So, yeah... they were very, very unashamed back then, leading the focus exactly to where they wished for it to go and without compromise. Even in group scenes, they would simply plunge the group into darkness and only have full light on the main subject.

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Very Shameless but they had a right to be with their massive talents c:! :D Bearing on your comment on their process I think I will go back and redo Sekhmet with a different outfit and fur shaders. It may take a bit for me to get used to the shaders but this old computer of mine should still be able to handle it. Then I will give it a proper go.

On this particular image I am a bit miffed because I couldn't get a full shot of the entire window and chandelier. I kept backing into a wall that if If I deleted took all the walls. This is what I cut out of a much taller image.

The character here is an obvious descendant of the Star Wars alien dancer. I am viewing her as the Main villain for Imp Online. This is who Loki Coyote is hiding from. It was love at first sight, for the cthonic goddess he spent a few weeks with that is. Big Mistake :lol: I had fun posing her tentacles... ;) <<< coughs. I was expecting an immensely long render time but it only went an hour and a half. It was too easy getting a mapped out planet Earth into it.
So There You Are.jpg
So There You Are.jpg (378.38 KiB) Viewed 7214 times

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm

Turn a 2D painting into 3D environment - Powerful BLENDER Techniques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0aobJ ... UKFsTP0Ku4

its done (by Marco Bucci) with Blender + Photohop, but it should be also possible with Verve + Blender ...
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:09 pm

That is something I have been trying to get right in Verve and completing a transition to HDRI. The idea is fantastic c:! :beer:

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Very is virtually predestined for it, by the way, because it does export color and height map separately! If you are aware of what you're doing, you can have some excellent fun with that stuff! :D
PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic