Short XP-Pen 22 review

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Short XP-Pen 22 review

After many years of wanting something like a Cintiq I gave in recently and bought a XP-Pen 22 inch monitor/tablet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015F ... UTF8&psc=1 I have threatened to build one but never did but I am glad I waited. At $600 it is a third of the price of an equivalent Cintiq. I had the money to get a Cintiq but just couldn't justify it as I thought it was a rip off. Wacom is always too expensive.

Everything worked out of the box with no issues. The monitor doesn't appear to heat up as I had read. The stand that comes with it works great although I am considering putting it on a vesa mount arm I have laying around. Monitor quality seems to be that of a standard monitor. It is a bit dull compared to my 30 inch professional Dell (2560x1600) but this is a good thing as it's much easier on my eyes :) I am spoiled I guess but barely noticed when I turned off my main monitor.

Out of the box it works fine but has a really nice calibration set up. It works with:

1, Verve! It is very flowing with Verve and really easy for me to sketch now.

2. Photoshop CS6. No problems :)

3. Krita. ditto no problems

4. Zbrush. Once again no problems

5. Sculptris. It is an absolute joy in Sculptris :)

6. Sketchbook Pro 7. Againnnnn Wait. What's this? It's offset! Damn. Every stroke was offset by a quarter inch lol. I tried reinstalling the drivers, changing xp-pen settings. Nothing worked. I searched for updates from autodesk. Yes there is one. I go to it and the link is dead. So I went to the web site and find the only way to get their new sketchbook pro is to SUBSCRIBE!?? wth? lol So I downloaded the 15 day tryout to give it a try with XP-Pen and yes. It worked perfectly :p. This is rather annoying to me. Sketchbook Pro 7 works great with my Intuos. The problem is having 2 different tablets attached to the system :p Not something I want to do and besides I had already uninstalled Wacom.

My impressions throughout were favorable mostly. The change from a regular drawing tablet to a monitor tablet was a level up for me.

Final thoughts. If this tablet makes it through 2 years of me it will have been well worth the price paid :)

Tom
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: Short XP-Pen 22 review

Hi Tartan, interesting, thanks for the review !
System info: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, i7-5820K 8GB, Windows 10, Wacom Intuos Pro M
Visit my photostream: http://flickriver.com/photos/24151359@N ... teresting/

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 am

That's a brilliant review, Tom, THANKS! :ob
I do love the idea of this sort of thing, but Wacom are insane with their prices. I mean, I can't justify buying a $600 thing right now, but if I switch over to selling software, which I will have to, I might just get enough to have something to invest again. I was dumb enough to invest $2000 in a Cintiq Companion for somebody, who so quickly showed to not care at all anyway...that was nicely frustrating. And even if I had 10 sparkly donate buttons all around, I would never make that much money back in my life. But I digress.. :P

SO, yeah, great review and keep us in the loop, if anything changes! ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:13 pm

heh TY Gbo and Taron :) I did start to have drivers issues this morning but think I have fixed the problems. Apparently an old Wacom driver that uninstall didn't affect was hanging up my XP Pen. It's taken me a bit of tinkering under the hood of win 10 but I believe I have resolved all issues. If it crops up again over the next few days under heavy use I may send it back which I really, really don't want to do.

Yeah $2,000 is entirely too much to pay for a tablet of any kind. Man. I would take it back from him and just use it to play with during boring movies or doctor's appointments :D

Tom :)

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:30 pm

And the problem Really is solved now. My "driver" issues boiled down to one thing. They were caused by a very loose female housing of the usb connector on the XP-Pen monitor itself. It was letting the usb cord wiggle around and disconnect and also on occasion reconnect. The problem was solved with piece of duct tape (Yah I know. Right 8-) ) Almost a dot of tape that I placed on the sides, not the top or bottom of the usb cord male end. I connected the cord and it held firmly while allowing the signal to pass through. Sheesh. I wish I had figured that out before I ran through a Lot of hoops trying to solve the problem. Not a huge hardware issue as it turned out. Thank goodness. I am going to post a 4 star review at amazon instead of a 5 star which I would have done if it hadn't been for all the anxiety :PP . Apparently this is not a common thing :roll:

True final thoughts. If anyone here goes out and buys one make sure all connections are secure. It's running great now :D c:!

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm

I think, any serious device only starts looking professional with a bit of duct tape! There ain't no way around it. You should see my headphones! :lol:
Your review here is already at a perfect place, of course. Thanks for the updates! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Off Topic