Fun with Javascript

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am

Fun with Javascript

As I'm writing on our website for the software, I'm developing more and more pleasure doing javascript stuff. It's so "easy" compared to virtually all other coding languages I have some command over, but it still feels like a full programming language, too.

Our company itself doesn't really have a website, yet, so I wrote a little stand-in yesterday, goofing around with javascript:
TiesOli

It's so fun to do this stuff, really. I'm only at the beginning of really exploring all the web stuff, so...there's most certainly another adventure ahead. I really expect it to be full of joy! :hyper:

Maybe I will eventually do a little mini-Verve online?! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Re: Fun with Javascript

Very nice! :ob TiesOli - acronyme for Taronities and Oli, Am I right? :-)

>>Maybe I will eventually do a little mini-Verve online?!
Is it not better to focus on the current Verve? ;) But I understand you and your enthusiasm. Nowadays web technology offers very nice results as the native apps but still, it is not as same powerful as a direct approach.
BTW Do you know https://www.shadertoy.com ?

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Oh yes, I know shadertoy! Only stumbled across it a few months ago and did a few experiments with it. Good fun!

Oh, no, I won't let this distract me, except that it is a good way of experimenting with GL for mobile! Depending on how much power I may get from WebGL, it may be the ideal approach to making a cross-platform thing, who knows. I can somehow imagine. :shrug:

THANKS, Lemi, of course, I'm happy you like it, too! :hyper: ...it's so fun for me and I needed that!
Yes, yes, yes, TiesOli is a combination out of my nickname "Ties" and my wife Olivera, that's correct! :D
I wanted her name to come first, but that just looked funny...:hihi:

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:52 pm

Hm, I'm still having some trouble getting the center logo to work in Chrome for some reason. Might be something stupid... but if you have some idea, I'm all ears! :shrug:

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:58 pm

:-) For my nickname, I chose opposite combination Lenka and Michal = Lemi :) Reverse order Mile didn´t sound good for my ears. :)

Back to your topic. You are very right, the web Verve app can solve the cross-platform task elegantly (not sure if 100% like Nvidia vs AMD). And if you can use your current Verve shaders, the online mini Verve can be done faster. But I am afraid, still much much work.
I have seen some desktop app that was fully based on a standalone web browser engine - maybe this could be a way too.
Still, I have a weakness for a desktop app :)

>>Hm, I'm still having some trouble getting the center logo to work in Chrome for some reason. Might be something stupid... but if you have some idea, I'm all ears!

It looks in center on my computer. Can you describe more?

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:08 pm

It centers fine, but it doesn't animate?! :(
...and :lol: to Mile, though Milenium is also kinda cool! 8-)

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 pm

UH, looks like I've figured it out, but it's a weird one: Chrome doesn't like transform: scale(100%); instead it needs to be floats like scale(1.0);
Now it all seems to work ok... :rock:

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:35 am

I'm still goofing around with the website... is it still running ok on your machines, or does it get too choppy? :?

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:37 pm

It's running fine on my end taron. Now I know what Tiesoli and Lemi mean :hihi: I have to say that is cute :beer: :hug: I have my fingers crossed for you on this. No one needs to be a millionaire to enjoy life but a little cash in the pocket doesn't hurt either :D
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 pm

You know, this is one of the things I would still like to experience...haven't been a millionaire, yet. :hihi: 8-)
But, yeah, I'm having so much fun right now, it's way too exciting!
I keep updating the site, of course. Right now I added a mode-switch. If you click in the center of the logo to freeze the background, the mode switches the next time you engage the swirls again. Currently it toggles between two modes: Let me call them "horizon ripples" and "lake ripples", hehehe. Even I get lost in playing around with them.
Once you've frozen the background, you can move the mouse to the side of the page to fade the logo a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, Tartan! :hug:
Next

Return to Off Topic