Hmm hmm

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:37 am

Hmm hmm

I tried your program yesterday and umm it's definitely built upon clever ideas. Your hyper-creative mind never ceases to amaze. I always wondered why there are no painting app that have controls ala sculpting apps (ctrl & shift). You could actually make some button invert brightness like ctrl key inverts pulling to pushing in some sculpting apps.

Perhaps you could use your "particle flow" to even splatter paint like in zen paintings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uL8U3e-yw

It seems like the "particle frequency" is pretty low by default - i was getting blobby/quantized looks.

Perhaps you could decrease opacity of your "particles" over time

Perhaps you could slightly randomize (or even animate) order of brush hairs for each stroke

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Re: Hmm hmm

That's funny!? I am randomizing particles for each stroke, while I even have two different brush systems, one that constantly randomizes and one that only does it per stroke. You can control particle (BRISTLE) sizes and amount for each bristle brush.
When you start Verve it now defaults to 0% fluidity, which can look a little ugly, but smudge still does what it's supposed to and it performs fast on even older machines. You can always crank up fluidity right away, of course. Later I will have an elaborate settings system where you can save your default preferences, of course.

Splatter like effects are partially already quite easy to achieve with what is there, but I'm planning on adding more fun routines that include cool splatter stuff, too! ;)

Instead of decreasing opacity over time, I may add a dip system, where you can literally load up paint onto your brush organically through your "gestures" so to say on a pallet. Transferring that paint onto the canvas then decreases the amount accordingly (unloading the paint onto the canvas).
This can be very cool for even more traditional approaches to painting, but I'd never offer that as default, because we should celebrate the benefits of digital magic! :D

Thanks, though, I'm happy you like it and I enjoy suggestions always! It's always best, though, to explore some more, do a painting and then see what you'd like differently or additionally. It's easy to miss what's there, if you don't get to use it, you know. I still have to make things a bit more obvious here and there, but it is a novel thing altogether.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]