Additional brush biases

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Additional brush biases

I appreciate the brush bias (let's call it a forward/back bias), but as a mouse user, it's not terribly useful to me much of the time. Also my favorite brush is #8, but unlike #7, it's not affected by this forward/back bias.

First, F/B bias aside, there's no pattern to the bristles; they're entirely uniform in idistribution. It would be nice to be able to bias them towards the left or the right side of the brush, or to the center or outside. These could each be independent biases, as well; high L (of L/R bias) plus high center bias could result in a brush with a left-leaning, centralized bias; high R and negative center (alternatively, a high radial), of the central/radial bias, could make for a brush with bristles mainly appearing along the sides, primarily the right sides. These biases could also overlap in behavior with the existing forward/back bias.

For example, the central/radial bias performance (100 = smooth gradient of most likely in center to least likely in side, akin to how the current f/b bias adjusts the shape of the gradient of the smooth brush, #1; 0 = totally uniform, the current behavior; -100 = bristle likelihood smoothly gradients from most likely along edges to 0% likely in center, like the inverse of brush #1's gradient; values beyond 100/-100 could make the gradient even more stark):

The L/R bias (100 = linear gradient of most likely at the far left to 0% likely at far right; 0 = uniform; -200 = nonlinear gradient, R is much more likely than center bristles, let alone L):

The same biases could be applied to the gradient brushes as well, namely #1, #7, and #8: The central/radial bias seems like it would be a more comprehensible place to apply the current F/B bias behavior; the L/R bias could shift the gradient from being centered to favoring one side or the other; the F/B bias could make the L/R gradient randomized more or less, as the #8 brush currently does (and so ignores the F/B bias in the process).
Asus Radeon 7850 1GB
i5-4670k
Win7

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: Additional brush biases

You are WAY TOO TALENTED to stick with a mouse, Fuchsia! Get a tablet, maybe a used wacom intuos3 or so, that would not be expensive, yet, change your life for sure! :D

I keep saying that I will have to get to do my real brush interface and engine and I have to, eventually, but I'll have a look at how I can at least automatically use stroke direction for those bias as well. I already have it, but somehow keep forgetting to add it to that stuff, too! :roll:
Thanks for the reminder! ;)

OH, and yes, the inside/outside bias is long part of the plan as well. I did some tests with it early on and it didn't feel essential at the time. But I shall hook that up again, too! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Hmm, thanks, but I have no moneys! :( Also I'm a programmer, not really a drawer...
Asus Radeon 7850 1GB
i5-4670k
Win7

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Well, apparently you are in the right place for those circumstances, hihihi, but- yeah- money is ugly, I know. You're doing beautiful things with the mouse already, though... so... as long as you can still express your inspired moments all is well! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]