Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Re: Fractals and fluid

I just want to say something about brush number 8, fractals and fluids.
It occurs to me that fractals have an uncanny ability to emulate everything and anything in nature.
Brush 8 is clearly just the tip of the proverbial iceberg....I would soooooo love to have access to a myriad of fractals...such as those found in blender 3d's texture panel. They open up a whole new world of possibilities and this is something I find totally unique to Verve. Those same fractal algorithms
could serve as paper or canvas textures...which seems obvious to me but I have never seen it implemented...perhaps for technical reasons?...Fuids are a bridge into another dimension that goes way beyond the usual approach to "painting" even though it is brilliant at that too. As a musician who thrives on improvisation...the random factor in Verve is addictive and tantalizing and I hope that it remains a cornerstone of the development philosophy as you move forward! :)
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Suggestions

Awww, man, Stavros... STAVROS! It's like you're spying on me somehow.. :? ...well, there are two major things, again, that are terrible spoilers, because they are so exciting, but they need so much work, too.
#1 - fractal brush gui (all standard parameters for turbulence and my own conceptual expansion of it, different types of procedural patterns (voronoi, grid/brick variations and other wild ideas I've had).
#2 - new and improved behavior of the polgon-ribbon as you draw with brush #8. The whole brush image thing was just an experiment to improve the texture transfer and it worked! I just never implemented it into the brush routine... :shrug: ...very strange. :geek:
OH, and the last thing for the ribbon type brushes is the use of images, of course, but that's like A WHOLE OTHER WORLD of things, really, because there I want to allow for all sorts of modes for repetitions such as standard, mirror, stretch and various reactions to randomization and rotation and so on...a whole, big new world of settings. But they all need to go into a proper GUI. So...there's really the crux of things. I need to do the GUI work and it's so annoyingly weird, because I don't want to waste energy before I switch gears fundamentally. It's tough to call it...

So, yeah, besides, that's why the canvas texture has already two procedural modes, too, by the way :lol: ...one of which is the same routine as brush #8 and the other would find its way into the brush world, too, of course! I believe, you and I, we simply understand each other! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 am

About recording function:
Art Rage records to scripts, which can be playback on different screen size.
Working on ipad either.
https://www.artrage.com/manuals/scripts/script-files/
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:17 am

"as well". If you say "either", it's like saying "neither", a negative context. Mary: "I don't like dog poop." Peter: "Me, neither! But I haven't got a shovel." Mary: "I don't have one either!"
Anyhow, wow, that's new. Open Canvas was always able to do that, which is also where my inspiration comes from. Funny. Good for them! :)
Yeah, I thought about script, but wanted to push that back. These recordings could get really big and I would want them to remain manageable first.

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:20 pm

As per usual....
I am speechless Taron
Well then.....
Carry on...
As you were
:)
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 am

Sounds really good, taron.
And thanks for the english lesson ;) Didn't know that.
As I said in Stavros thread, a real revolution would be making these scripts editable on timeline to music.
Giving the artist the possibility to make the creation process itself the real art.
This could generate a new complete new art form.
Digital art on another level than just copying traditional art. Vivid, entertaining and fascinating. Combined with fluids a show for itself!!

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:09 am

Agree 100%, but that's really yet another beast altogether; "Script". First I have to do so many things to set the stage again for recording and playback in this version, I don't even know, if I can. God, I wished I could simply be so full of love and passion to just go for it. I must find out how I can get there again! I just have to! Because it is the most beautiful place to be in, the best of the best!

Anyhow, yeah, love it all, timeline and everything, including import of audio and such. I'd love it! I'd be happy to have the basics working again, first, though. Good stuff to keep in mind! :ob

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm

OK, you may now carefully begin to hold your breath! 8-)
...I'll hook up brush style changes and see, if I can add a special save routine for the recording, too, but my first round of frankensteining has worked! :ugeek:
Somewhen in the next few hours you can expect a little test release! ;)
HOWEVER, it will only record a few aspects and only play them back as you've recorded them. Potential variations in the outcome are to be expected, because it's so much more complex in this version! :?

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm

That sounds brilliant, taron.

FYI
Developing UI.
I recently purchased Affinity Photo for ipad.
I guess it could be a nice inspiration for dials i.e.
http://www.maclife.de/media/maclife/styles/tec_frontend_fullscreen/public/images/editors/2016_24/image-79109--144314.jpg?itok=HjnXf4jt
Also I actually like the structured UI into different personas and studios.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5b-Daeu2AU
But have to work more with it to really recommend it or not.
The look is modern, fresh and innovative but one still have a good overview.
As I said - Just for inspiration. ;)

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah, I like the "persona" thing, which is like ancient Softimage in a way. Except it doesn't feel like interruptions, pfff. It's "neat"!
You are perfectly right, though, I should really think about starting with a proper UI.
One of my key things is trying to make it feel approachable and not overwhelming. They've done a very nice job there, that's for sure. I don't know, yet, how exactly I will do it, but I'd love to provide a sense of freedom and ease when going into something like a brush editor. I also like the idea to choose specific parameter, which you want to adjust during painting, like building your own custom interface for things such as brushes and what ever else could get quite complex. The focus is on being able to paint without complicated interruptions.
I will try to make some proper defaults, maybe even pleasant enough so that some people may never even bother designing their custom interfaces?! But, yeah... thanks for the reminder, Knacki!

As for the record/play feature, it's coming along. I still will only offer a limited amount of parameters until I get a full implementation. It's now pretty crude anyway, but that's kind of funny, too. I've done a few test paintings and the results vary, mostly because of all the randomness, which I do not reseed! But it's cool, too. Would be great, if one was trying to make an animation. You could replay a frame and the result is just slightly different, creating those great painterly alternations, you know. Kinda cool for sure! 8-) ...though, not ideal, of course, for those who want to perfectly replicate accidents, haha! :oops:

So, yeah, lots to do... :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]