Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Suggestions

Knacki, I've uploaded a new version! I've done a number of things, but I'd like you to test those first before I make the announcement!
First I've revised the bristle count dial for brushes #2 to #5. But I've tried something different with loading, too, which may help you load those projects that wouldn't load earlier. Give it a try, I don't know, if it helps?!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Cool Thank you!!
- I am short in time so just a quick feedback and I will start with a conclusion:

The changes ended in a result hard to follow.

A very simple setup would be most effective imho.

1% = 1 bristle, 2% = bristles, 3% = 3 bristles and so on. If more than 100 bristles need, the algorithm can change from linear to exponential after 75%.
Anyone can understand this easily and it is logical. Doesn't matter which of the brushes from 2 - 5.

Bristle size - no connection between low bristle number, as it seems to be now.
Ongoing linear increasing size from 1% :) to 100% - if possible, 100% a bit bigger.

This would be very easy to understand and adjust.

Detailed report:

#2 - now one paint with one bristle up to 23%. This bristle size is much smaller than the one appearing at 24% - no matter which size is set.
The range from 0-23% seems to change nothing. Bristle size seems to be affected from bristle number, only very small size possible.
I don't get the logic behind - did I miss something?
I just wonder if bristle size could have a bigger maximum size? If one uses only three bristles i.e. this could be very interesting.

#3 - Here 15% bristles is the border. Before, I can paint with tiny stripes only, doesn't matter which bristle size. At 16% it already starts with kind of same emitter amount than before, just shifted.
Seems to be unlogical to me as well. It seems that you have some influencing variables between number of bristles and size. Only few bristles = 0 bristle size.

#4 shows an inconsistent behaviour. On first try bristle number between 1% and something like 10% showed up one bristle - after none.
Now it starts at 16%

#5 works very well. But emitter number could be even less at bristles on 0%

Isn't it handled like a particle emitter anyway?
Emitter active by brush movement distance?
Btw. I saw a continuous emitting on brush 3 yesterday and today not - So airbrush function known from other apps. Is there a way to activate and deactivate airbrush, or is it just locked by variables?

About loading....I just loaded one project which started in black. This seems to work again now. But not a real test so far.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Ah, thanks! Yeah, each brush has a little bit of its own logic. I quickly tried to just go with exponential and a guaranteed 1 bristle, if you went down to "0". Some of them have a relationship with the bristle size. It's a long time ago that I wrote those, so I'll have to look more carefully again to clean this up.
Alright, so I won't deploy this one officially just yet. I will let you know, when I've got the next iteration up! :ob

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Well, Knacki, I'm looking at the code of brush #1 right now and I'm seeing and remembering what I've done and it was there to maintain a kind of organic consistency rather than numerical accuracy or the likes. Everything has a subtle influence on the bristles and there's constant randomness (pseudo), which responds to pressure and brush size changes and so on. The bristle size itself is also dynamic. This goes for all the early brushes, by the way up until #6, which introduces completely different concepts, of course.

So, yeah, the goal for me was to create an organic element with a number of compromises. I have to be careful not to lose these qualities, which is not as easy a task as you might think. There is a chance that I am actually over-complicating things, but we shall find out. Certainly could take some time, unless I suddenly have some brilliant idea.
ONE thing I did, though, which is kind of interesting. I just considered the chosen brush size and wrote it so that the bristles won't go over that brush size. That's kind of "neat", hehe. But I'll first think some more about your concerns before making another release.

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Yes - I guess both. First all this sounds very sensible and I am a big fan of randomize and humanize things.
On the other hand control should be clear and structured. First things first.
So I think you are a bit too afraid to loose this organic look.

It's just about the basic start setting, which should fit.
If I want to have one bristle, I should get one, If I want twenty, go to 20%!
If I want to have just two bristles very big, why not? (As long, as they are not bigger than half brush size in this example)
This is actually not possible as few bristles will lead to non-adjustable bristle size.

Something like bristle size on pressure or with a rnd is pretty cool.....btw. the two knobs left from bristles and bristle size are without function :D
Plenty of random possibilities to add. :D :D But that could be left for the next gen brush engine.

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 pm

See, that's just not exactly right. You think, you're right, and I understand it, too, but really...this isn't it. I have to go the other way around, favoring the organic qualities I'm offering, because this is the nature you simply don't get anywhere else in the digital world. I can then reel it back in to reintroduce milk-man's accuracy, but with the original organic power behind it.
That's WHY I chose percentage for bristle count, rather than offering a count of individual fibers.

The changes I've just done are really cool, by the way. It feels different and more controlled, not to go beyond the chosen brush radius. On one hand it could be considered losing some of it's organic madness, but it really doesn't, I believe. So that's already a nice result of your pushing me back into the basics, hahaha.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I know what you mean. It's just there is something that you don't quite know, yet, and it's hard for me to describe it properly. It's similar to creating geometries for animation. To make them act most natural, you have to introduce a nature that flows beyond the borders of each element and may confuse the purely technical thinker. Sigh... it's so hard to explain.

Anyhow, I wouldn't mind if you told me why you are so concerned about this right now? What are you doing, what do you want to do? This way I may find the best possible angle to address it. It just helps me to align all the important elements without losing the soul of Verve.

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:50 pm

I've uploaded one little improvement that just makes me personally so very, very happy!
Brush #2 now has really nice behavior in BIAS and pressure based size! It no longer does the "fireworks", but actually contracts to the center of the biased area! I think, this is awesome! :bounce:
Can't believe I hadn't touched this stuff in so many years... crazy.
Anyway, I'll still have to apply this to all brushes of this kind, but it's a start! 8-)

Post Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:52 am

Oh - that is cool. Feels really good!

Well, am I a technical thinker?? :D
I just love to play with particles and therefore I think I have a tiny bit of understanding, not super much, what's going on.
Ahh, I don't wanna do something special in the moment. It's just fascinating what one is able to do with image brushes and #2 or #3.
So no worries. Do what you wanna do. I am happy with any kind of progress.

I am a superhappy ververist :)

It's just that I spent so much time with verve, that I only want the best for it ;)

Distributing "particles" with brush 3 is quite effective. It emits small particles over a big area at once and all are pointed in the same direction, acording the stroke direction.
Makes it much more useable than #10 for a lot of mass distributing work.
#10 has this oscilating functions to "scatter" images over the canvas. Always with rotation. As soon as your image already has some kind of shading, this makes no sense anymore.

What I wanna do with it?
Distributing preshaded small stones over a surface, maybe. Painting one stroke fire, clouds, grass, flowers - I guess the possibilities are rich with brush#3 and you can make the brush (emitter) as big as one want and the particles as small as one want.

Verve has one big advantage over other packages as with fluidity one can avoid the to heavy technical look.

Post Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 am

Just an Idea for an Shortcut

SHIFT + CTRL + F9 => duplicates the current layer
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:05 am

Hey, Knacki! :hug:
You know what it's for! :beer:
There are questions I have for you, which I would've had right away, had I decided earlier already to dig just a tiny little deeper into your life, haha. Or, possibly I'm senile already and totally forgot that we talked about it already. This is about living lines and how I somehow either never knew or totally forgot and now can't shake the feeling that it's just some other connection and you don't actually do tattoos...it's like a faint distant memory. But, yeah, gratefully I was cyberstalking you a tiny little bit last night. Again, thank you and I appreciate your wonderful awareness. Means a lot to me! :ob

Zero, hm, yeah, why not! :)
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]