Hey there,...

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:57 am

Re: Hey there,...

WELCOME, xocd!
Feel free to start a new thread here in the Community forum and ask anything you like. Just be aware of my not being an engineer, haha, so you may get baffled once more by my ignorance! :? :lol:
However, I'm very happy you've downloaded Verve and are giving it a whirl! c:!
I've written and said it many times and at many places already that Verve is not a physically accurate approach to fluids, but an exploration into fast and pleasant fluid dynamics for creating art. While it's plenty of fun experimenting with 100% fluidity, the power I saw in it really manifests from 0% to about 40%. Inside that range you can have a very novel and strong access to paint behavior that allows for some really natural painting actions. But, really, it's all fun, I think. :) ...thus I hope it will be fun and inspiring to you, too.

Again, welcome aboard and ask away! :ugeek:

:beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm not quite sure whether this thread is still active, since the last post has been quite some time ago now. But I just wanted to say "Hi" to everybody - and especially to Taron, of course (before I start asking questions like crazy).

First of all - thank you very much for your amazing software.
I came across it via youtube on 31.12.2016, so my very first encounter wasn't exactly yesterday. But I didn't dare try it out on my old, much beloved laptop and it took some time until I got myself a graphically really strong computer (I'll add the specifics into my signature soon). Not just for Verve but for working on a big, big dream encompassing 3D Modelling and Animation ... But I am a complete and utter newbie on that field (yet).

Backgroundwise, I didn't study anything related to any arts. At least not in the opinion of most people - I studied mathematics and, for some time, physics as well. One more reason to really, really LOVE Verve:
As soon as I hear the words "fluid simulation" or "fractal" (!!!) in an art-related youtube-Video it's giving me goosebumps. :rock:
In a good way. A reeeeeeeeeeeally good way.
Please don't fell harassed now, Taron.

Anyway, hello to everybody and thanks to all for making this forum such a nice and friendly place. And fascinating, too - I have already been checking out some of the video suggestions and every link I followed so far has been quite a cool enrichment. Escpecially the one about Julius Horsthuis... :bow:

See you,
Chekwala

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 am

Hey Chekwala, WELCOME, of course! :beer:
And thanks for reviving this thread, actually. even I forgot about it already, hahaha... :oops: :lol: ...I really want to know more about everyone, who joins the forum, or at least get some idea.
That's why I really enjoy your introduction. It's perfect! :ob
Depending on how you weave math and physics into your mind, it should absolutely be considered art. It requires understanding and creativity to actually apply them, even in the process of understanding one by means of the other. Include programming and you have a fundamental set of what makes me tick. Though, I've never studied either in any academical setting. But that's where my heart is at for sure. :geek:
Naturally, that makes it no less concerning just how much you enjoy art related videos with fractals and fluid dynamics.. :oops: :? :D ...just tell me it isn't a kinky thing! :lol:
I'm kidding, of course, I can totally relate, though, apparently I most enjoy just exploring those with my own programming. It's pure delight! :)

Well, I'm very happy for you to have gotten yourself a nice system and I'm really looking forward to your first explorations! c:!
Always know that I love to see what people create, whether they have already been artists by vocation or just like to enjoy Verve as a new, creative outlet. You never have to hold back to share here! (Probably should be careful with such statements, haha :? )

I'm already glad you've joined! :beer:

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for that nice welcome and don't worry, they're not THAT kind of goosebumps. Not the kinky ones - just the completely, completely nerdy ones :lol: .
And yeah - in my opinion maths should totally be considered an art form as well. Even before fractals entered the stage and made a teeny-tiny part of mathematics' beauty also appealing to the eye. That geometry of chaos that is so mindblowingly beautiful.
So you have an "official" background in the arts, then? That's the one that doesn't show up in my CV. Only I have been completely in love with most of the paintings of Monet (and some of VanGogh) for more than half my life now... The impasto effect always totally entranced me. Because giving picture a somewhat tactile quality, turning them into something you really would like to touch just totally adds to the magic of art. (And especially in that respect, thanks for Verve again. And I promise to not just say thank you over and over again but to make a donation as well, come next payday!) c:!

See you. (By the way, any chance of adding a waving Smily?) :beer:

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 pm

I so need to add a few smilies...waving is good, but certainly hugging and I do like that tantrum one, haha, very useful! :D
Anyway, yep, I believe that anything that comes from or is part of a logical relationship somehow radiates beauty. The tactility of impasto is a neat way of adding another dimension, and I'm not talking about the 3rd as such, haha, but actually a relationship of the image with our space, so to say. Even if that in itself is just captured by the painting, hehehe, but, hey, it works quite well.
Anyway, so, yes, relationships create magic. And the nature of them is completely irrelevant, really. Fractal is automatically relationships, of course, while it may also just be color spaces, proportions that remain consistent or have a counter point, so to say. Polarity, binary, anything that binds things together, which could very well be consistency of chaos as well.
Oh, my background, I'm a self-taught artist, developer, musician and fairly eager "philosopher" as in I do love to ponder and occasionally research human understanding, especially ancient understandings as reference to where we find ourselves these days. :shrug: :lol:
I've been creating computer graphics professionally for 30 years now, though, I should say 25 years, because about 4 years ago I decided to abandon all project/service based work and dedicate myself completely to developing tools for artists and musicians. In all that time I haven't quite figured out how to monetize this effort without betraying my ideals, but I gradually beginning to shift my perspective slightly. People want to help, but many seem to prefer to be told exactly how they can do that. Normally this is done with a price tag. If it's too low, it will not serve its purpose. If it's too high, people will rightfully or understandably decline help after all. So it's about finding a healthy balance, a concept that helps me to continue doing this and allows me to give all of you what I really want you to have, too.
In the meantime, I'm so thrilled about anytime I do get a donation. It's a little sobering to realize just how rarely that happens, but it makes me all the more happy about anyone, who dares to support me and Verve's future!
Thus: Thanks in advance, but, please, don't feel pressured in any way! :beer: (Yep, need more emoticons!) :roll: :D

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Did you ever come across the book "Gödel, Escher, Bach" yet?
It kind of seems very unlikely that you don't know it already, but I just wanted to mention it. (Before I start raving about this book, though, I have to confess that I haven't yet managed once to actually finish it. Because I always have to put it down and think about it. And then think about it some more. And sooner or later there will be a more lengthy interruption and then I'll just start over again...But anyway:
In that book the author kind of starts out by weaving mathematics, visual arts and music together. But before you know it, a lot of is about perception, the human mind, logic (a lot of logic), Zen, artificial intelligence, self-reference,.... And he's not just writing about it but really - self-reference applied again - sometimes writing in the style of what he describes.
A complete marvel, really and I am not doing it any justice. Probably because it has been far too long that I was last reading it.
I'm gonna change that, right now. (And if you really don't know it yet, you should give it a go because somehow I am quite sure that you would love it no end...)

See you! :) :bounce:

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Uh, never heard of it! I'll gladly track it down and give it a go, THANKS! :)
Ordinarily I care little about contemporary literature, because all too often people get lost in their own world, mistaking it for the "real one", hahaha. That same thing is happening to me and I'm plenty aware of it, but we're all children of a civilization that has long lost its touch with its own universal/actual basis. Our thinking has been manipulated every step of the way and most of our revelations merely seem to inch us out of that darkness we've been told was "growing up". Whenever then any contemporary author reveals his profoundest, there is a potential to corrupt the fragile navigation out of confusion, that each one of us is on.
However, I'll happily take a look at it, should I find it, and may want to give you my reaction to it then, too?! :ugeek: :)
There's so much more I'd like to tell now that I'm thinking about it, but well... maybe some time "off topic" we can go on about all that! I'd love to! :D

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Wowsa, Chek, this is very engaging and properly exhausting literature! :lol: :ugeek:
Naturally, I find myself on youtube, tracking down Bach's Musical Offering only to discover- moments later- a comment that goes:"Who else is starting Godel, Escher, Bach?" :lol: :shrug:
Now I feel compelled to experiment with canons myself, danged... :PP ...I'm currently making a new track for KVR's monthly OSC (One Synth Challenge). I'm halfway into my piece already, which is a pretty good moment to go for an experiment, hehehe. We shall see. But, dang, it sounds exhausting and very challenging.

So, yeah, page 16 and I'm taking a break already! :lol: :oops:
I just love how engaging the book already is right off the bet. I'm a little afraid that it may overwhelm me with trivia, required to follow along with some hope of relaxed reading, but we shall see.... so far, so good.

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Here's to GEB, then! :beer:
I really did dig it out after my last post and already got lost in each chapter's summary at the beginning. :rock: :bounce: :rock: :bounce:

See you! :D

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Chekwala,
nice to have you here.
But you should warn people that they should not try to solve every riddle in GEB.

I started this book four, five times as a teenager, 35 years ago.
Always hanging on one riddle I couldn't solve.
As I was very conscientious, I tried it again and again untill I left the book in the shelf.

Finally, after a year or so, I was fed up with this riddle and just read further on.
There I was informed that this riddle was not solveable.

This was the last sentence I read in GEB. ....forever :D
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]