EB Hoykeys & Navigation

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:17 pm

EB Hoykeys & Navigation

Thanks Taron,
I'm struggling switching everytime between ArtRage, Photoshop navigation and Verve navigation, at this point my brains are twisted very bad, hope you could implement an option to get the default navigation keys SPACE to PAN / CTRL SPACE to ZOOM / SHIFT ALONE to CHANGE BRUSH SIZE in Verve. Thanks for the bug fix.

Thanks Lemivision,
I saw your application to convert PS brushes into Verve brushes, I haven't test the brush number 10 in Verve though, I read the manual, but didn't quite get it, I guess I got to put more time on it, thanks again.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: EB Verve Painter

I'll think about adding an alternative control scheme before I do the full customization. ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm

oh god bless you for that Taron, Thanks Advanced.
just if you encounter any problem about a modifier hotkey been already used, please remember my suggestion of using LETTER hotkeys as modifiers, eg:
V / SHIFT = Smudge
H / CTRL SHIFT = Average
R / Ctrl = Erase
B / N = Paint Tool (b is the Corel Painter, Photoshop, hotkey for Paint Tool, but since its used by Build Parameter, it could be N instead)
so if you press and quickly release (before 200 ms) the V key, it would completely switch to Smudge Tool
but if you press and hold the V key, it would temporarily switch to Smudge Tool until you release V Key, then it would return to the last used Tool. The same goes for H key, R key, and B key
This is a very powerfull setting that I found very usefull in 3D apps as well as 2D painting programs. that's why I use the "tool mode" buttons that are placed at the bottom right side of the Verve GUI all the time.

btw I see the N key kinda shuffle the color. what does it do?
Thanks Advanced again.
great app.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Many years ago, drpetter (Sculptris) and I wrote a little painter, where I did that sort of thing, except the toggle-time switch, but you'd use keys to hold down certain modes (darken, brighten, smear, blur and so on). I loved it, but it didn't take long to run out of keys, hahahahaha. I added a fiber type paint, which was great fun with things such as fibers picking up colors from the canvas and average and all that. All functions were exclusively available through keys...pfff...no GUI then.
Anyway, yeah... this all falls into the "customization" realm.
Trouble is, I know for a fact that Verve's current key setup is quite ideal for painting, compared to any other tool, but people aren't used to it, of course. Fact is that it leaves your hand very relaxed on very clear keys for the most relevant actions, the things you'd do most. Having to look for the "small" keys can become more complicated... but well. I'll make it happen eventually! :shrug: ;)

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:22 pm

I suppose it's a matter of taste.
yes toggle-time switch is the Holy Grail cuz it joins the "modifier" realm and the "tool mode" realm in one,
I love Verve way of doing things, the "modifier" paradigm is very very usefull, is just that the "tool mode" paradigm is also very usefull, I use both intensively while painting. that's why I use the "tool mode" buttons that are placed at the bottom right side of the Verve GUI all the time.
Yes I understand it's just matter of getting used to it, in fact I can, the problem happens when switching to any other painting app, cuz I have to get used to the universal navigation hotkeys again, and then when switching back to Verve again I got to get used to its navigation hotkeys again, and so on, again n again, its like a learning curve that never ends. :PP its almost like it would force you to choose between painting with Verve or with the rest of painting apps.

btw, what does exactly N key do? does it only shuffle the color?

Thanks again man.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:03 pm

[N] rotates through color swatches, if you've made some (more than 1) or brings random colors, if you don't have swatches.
It was a temporary fun feature I wrote for Pilou. Originally it only went through random colors, but once I wrote the swatches, I figured it could be fun to have it rotate through those. You can do some madly wonderful stuff with that!

Well, just stick with Verve for the painting! c:! ;)
I will eventually also have all the must-have features for masking, image processing and brush design as well as hopefully soon proper image formats, but that's a bit of a trickier thing for me right now.

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm

:evil: Hope before all that Verve could allow customized hotkeys.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 pm

This entire conversation should be in the community. Your wonderful gallery thread shouldn't get so messy! :ugeek:
...but, no, as I said before, hotkeys and customization will be the last thing I'll ever do! :lol: ...yes, yes, at least the major key settings I'll pull forward. Funny enough, this is the trickiest stuff, because modifiers have a complex use. Anyway...

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: EB Hoykeys & Navigation

something to add to my wishlist, at the top right after the navigation stuff, at the same level with the Letter modifier stuff (time-toggle stuff), is the ability to create presets,
eg. I use an specific setting of Fluidity/Build/Blending/Fluid Smudge for one sort of Blend Tool, then different settings of all those parameters for a sort of Knife Tool, and so on for a sort of Brush Tool, Glaze Tool, etc. Having the ability to switch between two Build Parameter values, is good but not enough imho.
I respect and use the modifier paradigm, but you have to recognize that having to tweak all these parameters whenever you want to switch between paint n blend is daunting, Photoshop, Painter, ArtRage all have presets capabilities. is not just the matter of switching a brush head set (brush 0-9), yes I know in Verve Brushes aren't just brush heads but have other parameters built inside them, but that's just the beginning, cuz they do act differently when tweaking all other parameters, becoming a different tool, they could/should be saved as presets so one can return to them easily.

This is meant as a sort of feedback, comparison is made in order to improve, great app Taron.
Thanks Advanced.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: EB Hoykeys & Navigation

I hear you, but you should consider the danger of such a thing. I thought about offering this kind of combination for "brush settings", but realized the troubles this could cause, if suddenly either fluidity goes high or low, just because you switch settings. It could cause a lot of grief, I'm sure. HOWEVER, I did think about the chance to create presets based on a checklist, where you could tell what settings you want to change, rather than a fixed set of all of them, you know.

Anyway, especially when you paint "naturally", you really don't have to switch on the fly like crazy. We're all a bit damaged by digital painters, which force us to be inventive with their limited abilities. Verve, though, offers a different kind of approach and can allow for more complexity within just one chosen paradigm and you don't have to switch all parameters constantly. It's really just an unfortunate habit. Of course, it's asking a bit much of me to let people allow themselves to grow into a more natural direction again, but I can really recommend it and will continue to do so: Relax, Discover, Let yourself go and Enjoy! c:!
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]