Everyone, what Graphics Card are you using?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Everyone, what Graphics Card are you using?

The 970 is a great card. The only problem with the 900 series and lower is finding a new one. Amazon and Ebay should have some good deals but they will be running around 300. Example https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Overcloc ... ds=gtx+970. My advice is to stay away from used equipment. Always go new and check into the warranty. This way if the card is D.O.A. or just doesn't last long it will be easier to replace. That doesn't mean you Can't find a new 970. It's doable and that card is more than adequate for Verve.
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:53 pm

thx Tartan, Taron x the quick reply

Yes Tartan I'm willing to build a new rig,
would you please tell me the max canvas resolution you can run smoothly in verve with you 2 1080s in SLI configuration? and if possible the same but with a single 1080, sorry if I insist on the max canvas resolution matter, but it is crucial to me. I remmeber Taron saying something about 10k with a single 1080, n I'd like to push it even further.
also cuz I read some posts about SLI configurations, saying that adding a second GPU wouldn't add 100%, but 60% of graphic processing power, meaning 2 GPU will be 160% compared to a single GPU, n I guess this would be a way of telling if this is true or not.

thanks you both very much in advanced. :ob
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Hey Ed,

There is no SLI or Crossfire setup that will double graphics performance. 160 % sounds about right so the 2 1080s vs the single Radeon would be about equal. But this is a Guesstimate. The advantages of the 2 vs the Radeon are as I have said. Plus Verve works and plays a lot better with Nvidia than it does AMD. There are a few other graphics programs that the same holds true.

A lot of people run in SLI with cheaper cards (as in me with my 960's vs a single 980) to overcome a pricing issue and also to exceed the performance of a single card. Others go crazy and go for a Quad card setup. 4 cards running in SLI. These are fanatical and in some cases professional gamers lol.

I have a busy day ahead but I will go as far as I can on testing my setup for max resolution in Verve later tonight.

What kind of case are you going to put your new system in and what is the build of the motherboard?

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:30 pm

thx Tartan for the quick reply
basically I've been artraging in 12k (a full character w some bg), n I would like to do the same in Verve
about the motherboard I don't have anything figured out yet, I thought about figuring out the GPU then building the rest of the system around it,
after all, not all motherbords can handle SLI or CrossFire configs. :shrug:

thx you very much man for the max canvas resolution test. :beer:
it basically is just the max verve canvas resolution in which it's allowed to paint smoothly (w HIGH QUALITY On), to save vrv files, n to reopen them. Thx again man :ob
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Besides, you don't have to have HQ on during painting. It really is something you want on for export. I mean, I never turn it off, but then I don't work in high resolutions much.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Thx Taron. That last clue was something I should have figured out long ago. :)

Hey Ed.

I should thank you for making me get off my thumbs and to continue a new build I started when I first ordered a TI. First there are a few things you need to understand about SLI (and probably Crossfire as well) As long as your sub series matches (ie 1080 in this case) You can run in SLI. It doesn’t matter if it’s a different manufacturers card or if one has 11 GB Vram or 8 Vram. What happens is this: The configuration lowers the power of the stronger card to match the lower. This is essentially what I had as a standby while I homed in on a motherboard. This rather defeats the purpose of the 1080 TI which is 4k gaming.

Are there any problems with a card meant for 4k gaming? A 1080 TI can bottleneck your CPU at lower resolutions. The lower the resolution the harder your CPU has to work. You will need a 4k monitor and it doesnt hurt to have a more powerful CPU and motherboard. A TI is always running best at 4k which I am not set up for. Yet. I am continuing my build and have ordered a new TI although I ordered a MSI 1080 instead of a EVGA. I should have ordered 2 EVGAs when I had a chance in the fall. Sellers on Amazon are asking outrageous prices and places like Newegg and Tiger Direct are almost sold out. The card I originally ordered for the outrageous price of $899 has gone up to 1200 and more. The card I just ordered came in at $999. These are insane prices caused directly by Crypto mining. I am taking my GTX 1080 8 GB and putting it into a dedicated graphics computer with a Xeon core and I will probably put my 960 in my multimedia computer (this one).

I have done limited testing. The first thing I did while still in SLI was create a 10k image in Photoshop in JPG form with max quality on the save and tried to import into the newest version of Verve. I had exception violations from 10 k to 7k. At 6k the image imported but was completely white and could not be worked on. At 5k it imported but was completely black? And could not be worked on. I will check on that again to make sure of my numbers. I took the GTX 1080 8 gb card out and tried again with the TI solo and same results.

But that’s before I read Taron’s last post and went DOH. Lol.

I went downstairs to make something to eat and turned the computer I am using now on. Sat down to go to the forum while my meal cooked and read Taron’s post. My multimedia computer is based on an old X51 Sabertooth motherboard and atm has an ancient EVGA GTX 480 in it. I downloaded Verve and tested imports with both HQ on and off. This decrepit card couldn’t import at 6k with HQ on But it imported at 6k with HQ off and could be drawn on if at a snails pace. It was kind of fun watching the cursor outline SLOWLY stretch out like a rubberband and then pop back lol.

The point is that it imported and you may want to try that with your 680.

When I get a chance I will do exclusive testing on the single TI with HQ off and on when my other one gets in I will try both. Sorry for the long post.

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm

thx Tartan,
then it seems 6k is the limit for importing a jpg img
what about creating a painting in Verve and resizing it in Verve, how big a canvas can be resized in Verve n still paint, save n load ok?

I think 12k should suffice for a nice Verve painting.
Perhaps a 4k gaming card could allow 12k canvas resolution in Verve.
what about AMD, does anybody have a friend owner of a Vega edition card?

Thx Tartan, Taron.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Don't misunderstand Ed.

The TI is a dedicated 4k card. What's needed is a 4k monitor

I haven't tested the TI with HQ in Verve off. I had to turn it off on my multimedia computer and Then it imported into Verve and that was with a GTX 480. The TI was importing at 6k with HQ on not off. Thats quite a difference. When I get back I will try it out. I also have a 4k monitor otw with the new TI and that will let me go full bore. I will give you full results later. :)

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 pm

12k? Yes, that would do it, if you wish to make a projection onto a skyscraper or hang a 20 square meter billboard, that's true! You could also go 50k, if you wish to project an image into the sky via the blue beam project! :lol:
Who implants those ideas into people's heads to require 12k for a digital painting? Is the plan to do some sort of art forgery or so, where people could zoom into the fibers of the canvas, checking for resin residue or so...but, man, why those absurd fantasies?
How about you make one finished excellent painting at 2k and see how this carries you further in life, because it will! By the time graphics cards can routinely handle 12k images, I will have the most amazing up-res feature, too! ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Ack ! That's a bit sarcastic Taron. Drink more Coffee :o I agree that there is no need to go 12k rez. I routinely go 4k across all graphics programs that will support it. The reason why I already told you. I started in Bryce in the 90s and spent days just to get a 340x420 render. I remember fighting constantly for resolution. As far as graphic cards go and being able to handle 12k resolution. I can do that all day long in Photoshop with the GTX 480. But there really is no driving need for me to do so. I just can't do it in Verve. What Ed is doing now is learning. Have patience. :hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]