Ante-virus warning

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 am

Ante-virus warning

Hi Taron

Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 12 has given me a warning about verve-painter.exe and blocked it's execution. The warning is "UDS:Dangerous Objects Multi Generic". Any thoughts on why this is occurring. Should I be concerned? This was for v0.99j.

Cheers
Mal

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Ante-virus warning

Hey Mal, I have no idea what these jokers are doing, but Verve is just an executable, no network interaction or scary stuff, there's nothing about Verve that even remotely could resemble a Virus, unless some Virus is known to mimic harmless software and harmless software in turn gets accused. :P

I know not what the deal is there, but see no reason to despair.
Oh, I so want to continue with a silly poem, haha, but that you I should spare!

OH, maybe it is because you're downloading an (.exe) rather than a zip or rar and it finds that spooky? :o
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:42 pm

After a quick Google session, it seems the virus warnings by Kaspersky are not genuine, ie. they are "false positives". UDS:Dangerous.Objects.Multi.Generic could be a really dangerous Trojan horse type of virus, if real, but it seems Kaspersky likes to falsely detect that.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to a newer antivirus SW. I have managed quite OK with even the standard, free Microsoft Security Essentials SW in my Win7 PC.

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I've used KIS for many years without any problems so, following your reassurance, I will add Verve to the exclusions folder to stop any further warnings from occurring and allow me to run the program.

Cheers
Mal

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:39 pm

I really hope it runs on your system, too, haha! :? :lol:
I wanted to add, I also only use the Windows Defender, because I'm stubborn as can be, when it comes to that stuff. It's their OS, they better take care of it properly beyond what a user can do. Thus far it did a good job, I believe.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Hehe.... I mostly switched to Linux because of paranoia of viruses... I ran Norton back on Windows 7 and never had any trouble, but it's the fact that I never had any trouble that worried me. I'm not afraid of what I can see, I'm afraid of what I can't!

I do caution you Taron, the world is a spooky place, and with Verve's sudden spike in popularity, it may become a target. I'd look into different security vulnerabilities of this type of file sharing, and make sure the source file on YOUR computer isn't getting corrupted by a malicious individual, and (more probable) the file on the forum isn't swapped for something malicious. I'm no expert in the security field, but I am paranoid ^_^
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 pm

I don't know, really, I can only hope there's some decency left in people, not to attack something that really has no opportunism attached to itself and is only productive in every conceivable way. I know, humanity is in a weird spot, but I want to believe that we're waking up to our potential and don't let the mindset that holds us back cut off the line out of the darkness. But I keep monitoring it, of course.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:19 am

Well the opportunity is in distribution diversity. It would likely not be profitable to attack with the goal of deterring your efforts, however it would likely be fruitful to add a piece of code to key-log the user's actions, or a snippet to go out and download other malicious packets.

A HUGE warning to me is that the program already requires full clearance of (some) virus scanners, and Verve is clearly from a trusted source, so if it requests admin privileges (idk if Verve normally does or not, since I'm on Linux) people will click allow. So long short, if someone does slip in a piece of code, whatever they put in has full access to the entire system.

The Windows security vulnerabilities are a rant for another day, and probably better explained by someone else.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm sure all of this is possible somehow, but it may be more likely that a meteorite smashes all the way through the roof of your house and hits your computer square on the network-cable-socket, sending of a spark that triggers a distribution of your atm pin to the entire... and so on... it's a wild world, that is true, but if we live in fear of ourselves the whole time, we end up standing still. There are countless more popular applications in circulation that are just as free and as soon as one of them reports that that exact scenario has happened, I'll pull Verve and save all of you from this terrible threat, I promise! ;)

Besides, it's an EXE...why it would require "Full Clearance" I have no idea. Uhm...maybe because I have the [F1] key that can send you to this forum? That could be a potential reason?! :?: :idea:

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 pm

".exe" files do have their problems, but at this point you are likely right in not being likely to be hit with an attack. I'm just being paranoid :geek: and no, I don't think having a hot key to link to a web page requires admin privileged, I again don't know if it does need to run with additional permissions or not.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]