Suggestions: wraparound, displacement, ... ?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Suggestions: wraparound, displacement, ... ?

Hi, Taron,

I'm looking forward to exploring your software more.

I have some feedback, but it's based on watching some of your videos, so I don't know if this has already been suggested, or possibly already implemented.

1) I'd like to be able to have the painting wraparound at edges so that it tiles easily.

2) I'd like to be able to access the height information as a bump, normal or displacement map so as to be able to use it to relight the painting in other renderers.

3) Maybe it would be nice for additional, unseen channels to "go along for the ride" so that I could assign (lets say) 'roughness' to each color as a separate attribute when I paint with it, and have the various roughness values of adjacent colors also mix and swirl fluidly, so it has no obvious effect within Verve, but then later I could use the mixed roughness channel of the final fluid painting in, say the Maxwell Renderer as a surface attribute there.

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Re: Suggestions: wraparound, displacement, ... ?

Hey J,

1) exists, but you can't quite see it right now, I still have to fix that part. You see it through the glass, actually, hahaha. :oops: ...hit [F4] to toggle different border conditions! (clamp, repeat, mirror repeat). Those show mostly when you have "drying" turned off, of course. Repeat has the only "trouble" that the lighting would have to be off or centered to hide the borders visually, but the content repeats perfectly.

2) Yes, the export is planned and no problem at all!

3) Now here's a "pro" feature worthy to consider for a high-end version of Verve! Good idea! But you can't do that to most people, haha. It would likely slow down everything quite a bit as it would have to move additional framebuffers. It may not even be that bad, but it certainly takes a decent machine a pro should have.

Cool, nice first post, thank you! I'm looking forward to your first doodle! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi,

I`m not a painter, but playing with Verve it was great, great fun. While playing with the brushes and mostly doodleing on the canvas it strucked me how cool it`ll be to be able to export heightmaps, maybe change the lighting and tweak/add to the texture color (exported as diffuse only maybe) in a 3D app. I searched for displacement on this forum and found jfrancis`s post. Have to say tat I agree and support every word/suggestion he made.

This liquid behavior of the paint/colors on the canvas is a really cool idea. :D

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Hey Mark, thanks! :D
So do I, of course, but it has actually been part of the plan right from the start. I just still have so many things to work out, that I didn't yet get back to the file system. But I vow it is to come, no worries there! ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]