My first ever painting in 20 years

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: My first ever painting in 20 years

guess .. The above one shows how fallible I am.. :D.. As you can see.. I am reworking the contrasts for a different composition.. almost repainting.. repairing.. :oops:
Attachments
Canvas#3-Error-fix-900.jpg
Canvas#3-Error-fix-900.jpg (123.44 KiB) Viewed 11219 times
Intel Core I5 4440, ASUS Sabretooth Motherboard, 24 GB Ram, Zotak (Nvidia) GTX 770, HDD is WD, with a 500GB, SSD for scratch disk

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:53 pm

The guy on the right does have a certain "cave painting" quality to him, yes, hahaha...and his reflection shows that you gave up on him already, but other than that, it could still pass as art in my opinion! c:! ;)

A video is not so much about technique, but mostly about literally the paint and the brush interacting with the canvas, you know.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Will give you one.. you qualify it..

Taron wrote:The guy on the right does have a certain "cave painting" quality to him, yes, hahaha...and his reflection shows that you gave up on him already, but other than that, it could still pass as art in my opinion! c:! ;)

A video is not so much about technique, but mostly about literally the paint and the brush interacting with the canvas, you know.
Intel Core I5 4440, ASUS Sabretooth Motherboard, 24 GB Ram, Zotak (Nvidia) GTX 770, HDD is WD, with a 500GB, SSD for scratch disk

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:51 pm

I am really liking your painting of the waterway Ara. Excellent atmosphere! It reminds me of some of the side channels of a river local to me called the Wacissa River born out of a series of springs at it's head. The only thing lacking would be the alligators and the moccasin snakes sunning themselves on low hanging branches above the water. Good times :D The second one came out well also. c:!
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks you So much for your comment Tartan.. I am glad to know you have a visual connect to this at your place.. The idea of a danger lurking is interesting.. :D .. These waters of Kerala hold more of the edible kind.. Rather than the hunters.. Let us not disturb the serenity.. My challenge was to get that background to work.. along with the fog/mist.. then about half way through the painting I realised that I moved the boatman.. little too much to the left.. So brought in the dark tree trunks to balance the frame.. ( they were not part of the original composition of this scene ).. I understand this is 'post mortem'.. Frankly, I am glad and satisfied with this 14 hour effort.. I can really work a bit more on the (sun lit) fog.. and the wavelets.. Mostly.. I would be questioning and answering myself.. :D Guess you know what I mean.. But Tartan.. the best part is actually the foliage around the edge that catches light.. That kind of worked for me.. I thought..

any ways.. was going through changing systems.. therefore the lack of update on the Verve front.. Tomorrow.. am going to try out my new Acer with a Geforce GT 750M with a dedicated 4GB vram.. will give it a go.. ( don't expect it to be better than my workstation).. But keen to see what comes out..

Cheers .... AraA

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm

" Breaking Waves" (WIP) .. 24x18 Acrylic on canvas board..

Chose this subject to torture myself :D .. had do redo (change approach) for the foreground waters.. Tried to work from midtones.. didn't work.. So, Instead of working highlights and shadows from mid tones.. Worked down from Highlights.. towards shadows..

Still a lot of work left.. and lot many more wavelets to be created.. Suggestions are welcome as I was :PP at some point in the day.. looks like I restored some amount respect with what I am posting.. But trust me.. it was a lot worse :oops:

Taron.. could not fit in a video recording session this time.. As I was doing this among other work.. and my camera was occupied.. Will do one for sure.. soon..

Comments and criticisms .. welcome .. and needed.. thanks
Attachments
IMG_20150728_005130.jpg
IMG_20150728_005130.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 11142 times

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Nice...I think you could use some more brushes to get finer or more complex spray. The main white spray reveals too much the shape of the brush in the stipples.
Artistically, hmmm...I'm not entirely sure about the colors, honestly. A sky that is so intensely saturated should leave some mark on the water, but it seems as though the water interacts with a different sky...far more blue, far less dramatic. Still, it does have drama altogether, naturally, and it makes a fun painting. Great exercise! c:!

I also think you should try how it feels in Verve now that you work with real paint, too! I'm curious what it feels like to you in direct comparison! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:52 pm

I can't add much more to what Taron has said here Ara. Overall I like it but I also feel with that intense sky it should be reflecting off the water. You could over paint the foreground adding highlights. I can't really say I am a true painter. I can only recall 2 actual paintings I have done. Of course this doesn't include Verve paintings but digital is such a different medium. It actually feels better to me to paint with Verve. However turnabout is fair play. Now that you have the base done you can scan the actual painting and take it into Verve for correction or evolve it. I remember an image I did early on that morphed itself into 3 different images by the time I was done. Thats actually pretty fun to see how an original conception can change. I wish I didn't have my hands so full these days so I could get back to two specific Verve projects. Maybe next month. Still I like what you have done. Dont stop now :ob c:!
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:10 pm

I wish there was "like" button somewhere.. :) :ob

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:53 pm

wanted to do a bunch of F1 artworks.. Obviously the best place to try is Verve.. This one is for you Taron
Attachments
for-taron.jpg
for-taron.jpg (189.25 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks