JGiraffe's Laboratory

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 am

JGiraffe's Laboratory

Wow this program is amazing except for my abysmal memory of hotkeys and the fact that I just deleted a 3hr piece by resizing the canvas wrong :PP . Only having 1 undo is something I need to get used to as well. :cry:

Besides that rigamaroll, I look forward to sharing my experiments with you all! :D :D :D

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 am

Re: JGiraffe's Laboratory

OOoohhh, man, I'm so sorry, that's terrible. That's a great reminder to make these WARNING MESSAGES, which you can opt out from, if one resizes the canvas, argh. Thing is, all these features were really alpha experiments at the time and I yet have to make all this stuff properly. Somehow you stumbled across the old ctrl F2 features, I guess, which were from long before the interactive crop and somehow I left it all in there. I'm really sorry.
Anyway, all of this will get cleaner very soon, I promise! I still need to add proper interface menus and access to more features for canvas controls.

I am looking forward to your gallery filling up and am happy to welcome you aboard! :beer: (again) ;)
Keep in mind that Verve is still in Alpha state, despite all the features it has gained, but it's more or less still in "garage" state. Bring a fair amount of "forgiveness" into the mix, but know that you can work quite fluently with it already and don't have to worry about losing stuff, once you know what not to do and once you make it a habit to save frequently! :oops: c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 am

Well anyways here's an early version of what I was working on, the state it was in had much improved shading making the teal bands look like overlapping tubes, and the orb was more a like a sun. I was just about to make the tree into something interesting and add a waterfall running below it and then I resized my image out of existence lol. I will be recreating this soon to recapture my idea!

abstract post-bug.jpg
abstract post-bug.jpg (254.32 KiB) Viewed 16697 times

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:52 am

Ah, don't worry, J, just let yourself explore it all, experiment around with all levels of fluidity, try out the brushes and don't get too attached to your early tests! When you're ready, you want to feel freedom in your heart and your stomach, haha, so that nothing holds you back as you begin to transfer your visions- or what ever moves you- to the canvas. You really don't want to have to be careful, before you know truly what to care about, you know.
I can see already that you have a very dynamic feeling and a lively flow! c:!

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:25 am

Hey Taron do you have a good way to downsize file sizes while keeping the quality? This looks way better in verve than in a file small enough to upload!

river island biggerfile.jpg
river island biggerfile.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 16678 times

Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:58 am

My jpeg saver is terrible, so I always export a 16bit png, import it into Photoshop and save it for web as jpeg, carefully nudging it up to around 250kb. However, you can always use other image hosts online and post image links here!
However, to display happily something on the forum, images shouldn't be larger than 800 pixels high, I think, or 1024. Verve's default HD resolution is actually quite nice for this.

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:34 pm

nice beginning, if you don't know/have a good imagehoster - I', happy with imgur.com c:!
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Exporting to png then saving as a jpeg works great for the file size!

shadowtornado upload.jpg
shadowtornado upload.jpg (53.51 KiB) Viewed 16664 times

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:17 am

Yep, and that's the most curiously threatening image of a bubblegum tornado and such happily juicy colors ever! :D
I can see that you're warming up! Great! c:!

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:57 am

Haha thanks. It was supposed to look like shadow magic but bubblegum magic works too. I really want to get better at making detailed landscapes with verve but I think I've been using too high fluidity. My current experiment will be a whole different feel from these past two!
Next

Return to Your Artworks