Taron's little gallery

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Taron's little gallery

Funny how this reads very strongly as a greyscaled color image. Like, its nose is most definitely reddened, and the head is a different "color" than its body. Just slight changes in lighting bias and I guess shading "formula" like different materials, but I don't think I can remember seeing it this clearly in another made-for-bw painting. Cool!

Is the background scenery on a separate layer? If so, you could easily have thrown in a few rough horizontal lines to really plant the whole ground perspective there, with a few scribbles at the bottom and then getting quickly denser going up. I really like the mounds and pillars you have there already, it's just a shame that the ground is so conspicuously empty.

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Oh yes, I used the grid to make the horizon line, but just didn't put anything else on the ground for pure laziness. Just a sketch, you know.
Ehehehe, yeah, I know exactly what you mean by the sense of color. I have actually a hidden layer for some coloring, but I'm sure it's now what you'd have expected, hahaha...it's a bit super-funky. Maybe I'll do a color version later, too, but I somehow enjoyed the b/w. THANKS! :D
The laziness, by the way, comes from the fact that the guy is essentially still transparent. I'm currently thinking of a smart fill routine, also to generate masks, which I, too, have to hook up properly somewhat soon. :roll:

Oh, so I decided to have a little more fun with the foreground, then... all your fault! Check the original post, I've updated the image. 8-) ...oh, no, maybe I can just link to the original attachment...
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:26 am

And another Daily Sketch...

Here's a dry version with all the layers merged. It's kinda nice, too... hmmm

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:10 am

And another daily sketch...

Manatee Love

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:30 pm

And a goofy daily sketch...

Phil the Lord of Darkness

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Nice. Very very different look to the wet and dry clowns. It's hard to really pinpoint the changes, and figure out how or why it works that way, but it's an interesting effect anyway. I prefer the wet one, it's more neatly subdued and natural as opposed to some radioactive parts of the other one.

The manatees have a pretty suitable dryness to their folds however, but I still enjoy the watery volumetrics most, at the bottom of the image. Colors are very right, and it looks nice and calm like I'd imagine an underwater scene would be if you weren't at risk of drowning or being eaten.

Curious use of shiny "welds" for ornate seams on the dark lord pic! I also spot some bumps used for large-scale cloak shapes/folds, which looks like a much better effort at the same kind of thing I was trying before. Not sure how much of that is in fact bumpy paint though, or if you kind of just nailed the look through regular painting instead? Presumably the bumps wouldn't go all that far, so I might be tricking myself a bit here.

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 am

Ah, thanks, T! :D
I always try to work the bumping of the strokes into the flow of where ever they're on. At least I'm trying. In this case it is mostly painted with purpose, but I added some erasing and smudging to control the bump as well.
Yeah, I'm torn with the collapsed consistency against the layered "virtuality", for lack of a better word. I should've gone in there and blended those "boils" on the "chest" down a bit, but well... all in all, though, it just has a more tactile appearance to it. This can be good and bad (plastic CG).

The manatees are cute, aren't they!? But I'm not too fond of some of my sloppiness with their folds. But it's been on a time limit, so...eh... better next time! :roll:
Making the underwater backdrop was freaking awesome fun, though. I should make a youtube video of that! :D If you have a good idea about the colors you need, this stuff almost creates itself somehow. The caustics are kind of easy, but require some thinking at first. With all the smudging I have destroyed a heck of a lot of the background, but it's been about the manatees and just felt better that way to me.

Here's a fun little doodle I just did for no reason... no idea why:
fundino.jpg
fundino.jpg (239.26 KiB) Viewed 11650 times

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 am

Daily Sketch: "Oh look, a dinosaur!"

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

Daily Sketch: "Dino Hunter"

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Hehe, neat cartoon style! It looks nice with that background too. Not sure I subscribe to the idea of black-outlined campfire flames, but it's a tough line to draw (no pun intended) when balancing stylization and plausibility.

I don't think I've seen you draw stuff like that before actually. It's quite pleasant working with the thick blotchy black ink, isn't it? :)

The wispy clouds in that chase scene are also rather inspiring. I guess you've made them mostly using the average "scraper"? I should try it. Sounds like it would work out nicely. I've always wanted to draw more clouds, but like most things I don't get around to it! This time of year the sky is mostly a dull haze all over, but in summer there are all kinds of fascinating displays up there. Photography gets old real quick with such samey content matter, but painting is an experience in itself and it would also allow making a winter tribute to summer clouds. Eh. Maybe!
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks