Taron's little gallery

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Taron's little gallery

great study :) loike it also c:!
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:21 pm

The eye looks really great! Like also the style (don't know why but feels like 70' or. 60'... somehow oldish)... and the play with colors and the surface of the canvas -love it. :bow:
Also a good object to continue my eye study :D ... Great that you describe the technique that you used. Thanks for that

Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone, really! I'm just really excited about Verve's evolution. I've been coding so much that I really didn't think to make an ALMOST proper image. It's still absolutely just a doodle, but to me it was pure delight to draw and smudge around.
There will be more! :)

As for the 60's 70's touch... :shrug: :lol: ...might've been a past life nudge? :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:29 am

Taron wrote:I'm making a little demo for Knacki in response to my feedback on his portrait. I've talked about figuring out proportions first, getting the lay of the land, so to say. Then gradually to work inward to the details themselves, but always keeping an eye on their relation to the surrounding elements.
In this example I found a picture of the aging Spock on the web. I figured he would make a nice subject.
1. I started out with a simple sketch to get the placements and proportions right.
2. Then I blocked in rough shadows mostly just to confirm that my eyes are not fooling me and to make appropriate adjustments. The warp tool helps amazingly on this quest!
3. Some more details in the sketch for more of the same reasons and some more mild warping.
4. I then started to block colors, also to get a feel for the whole thing "filled out" really.
5. Lighting experiments, color experiments and further mild reactions to the proportions and smaller details based on painted areas.
6. Now I look at the whole thing differently, squinting in a way and also trying to ignore what my brain wants to see, but what really is happening in terms of values. I did turn the original photo black and white and raised contrasts to see where my brain was fooling me. It helped in the process of detaching my eyes from details again, which makes one mistake values in relationship to the whole. It's like as if you look at one bright place where there are darker spots and you gravitate towards making those darker spots as dark as the side of the face that is in shadow, while this isn't true at all.

I think you just explained academic (which turns out to me the most natural one) approach to painting portrait in any technique (pencil, charcoal, watercolors, oils, pastel, gouache, digital etc. you name it). And even street artists deploy that technique. After all, there are many academic ones among them. :ob
I really like how you captured him. It exactly feels like you're in movie close to him! c:!
I would like to see more portraits from you, please! ;-)

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:29 am

Ahaha, that's funny: "academic" ...I think, it feels like the most natural one, because that's exactly what it is. It would put my mind at ease in regards to "universal" education, but I simply wouldn't know. Thank you, though, for sure! :beer:
Yeah, well, I hardly ever do portraits. I think, you can count mine on one hand. I've done some 3d ones for projects, though, which would be part of that count, hahaha. :shrug:
But, well, I hardly ever worked with reference and only a few years ago began to do that a few times. It's great and interesting, but also terrifying to me, because it changes expectations and pulls me out of my normal approach of creating anything. I'd love to do some more intense studies, though.
I'll think about doing some more! ;)

Post Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 am

Hehe, so good we live in an era of free and excellent knowledge just waiting for us to pick it! Isn't it? ;-)
Here's one great painter (proffesor at Bezalel Academy of Art and Design). :ob
You can see a drawing of each portrait he starts to paint (alas I would like to see how he draws too).

(I will repost this to inspiration thread)

Marek Yanai:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8nL_4 ... cIcJSj9EEA
https://www.facebook.com/Marek-Yanai-403780676377309/

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:42 am

Just some doodle to test Brush #6 some more and goof around with #9, of course. :D
bally.jpg
bally.jpg (177.6 KiB) Viewed 10383 times

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:26 am

He is playing on his face light laughs but the soul is sad.. Interesting guy in any case! Man, great to see a new result from you! I like it! c:!

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks, Lemi! I have so many of these kinds of doodles...just felt like posting one. ;)
There was something about his intensity that I liked or found curious. It's a little like he's studying himself in the mirror... as though nobody was watching. It's almost a kind of highly personal- dare I say "intimate" moment. (NO, not that kind of intimate! :roll: ) :lol:
Again, thanks! :beer:

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:53 am

Fantastic work ! emotionally vibrant, and technically it looks like a pastel painting at its best. c:! c:! c:!
System info: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, i7-5820K 8GB, Windows 10, Wacom Intuos Pro M
Visit my photostream: http://flickriver.com/photos/24151359@N ... teresting/
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks