Everybody's First Doodle

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 am

Re: Everybody's First Doodle

Well, it's not exactly my first doodle in Verve, but it is my first 'finished' painting c:! Bob Ross paint-along, if it wasn't already obvious :lol:

Taron, thanks for this brilliant, wonderful program. Though I'm pretty amateur as an artist, I am quite a tinkerer and have gotten deeply into the nuts and bolts of just about every digital painting app out there. There are some that can do pieces of what Verve can do--sort of--but there is none that truly models that 3rd dimensionality and organic feeling of real paint like Verve. Also, once you get used to just holding a key and using the exact same brush to blend as you did to paint, it is downright miserable to go work in other apps with separate painting and blending brushes again. You've got to learn the shortcuts, but once you do working in Verve really allows for creative expression much more than other programs I've used, because of how you've designed the tools to work. Bravo Taron!

I do have a little unsolicited wishlist... just to add my vote for certain features:
(1) I would love, love love to be able to mix paint in a little mixing window or reference scrap, a la Corel Painter or ArtRage (I know many will say this is pointless in the digital realm, but I actually really like doing this to keep a consistent and smooth color palette in my paintings)... and the next thing, related to that...
(2) It would be fantastic if Verve could make its brushes (specifically brush 9 and 10) be loadable with multiple colors, e.g. sampling from a loosely mixed pile of several different paint colors, or maybe even just applying a gradient to their output.
(3) For those of us using a Wacom art pen that senses twist (aka barrel rotation), an option to use either pen tilt, OR barrel rotation instead of pen tilt (it's so much easier twisting than holding the pen over at an awkard angle!)
(4) When using Brush #10 with images, sometimes I want to be able to turn on pressure sensitivity for size, and then tap my stylus to create individual dabs of the #10 images. This works just fine, *except* that it seems to stamp the image down before it can fully register the pressure of the stroke, so I can only get a very small amount of size variability from it with this method. (However, if I just hold the stylus down and scribble around while varying pressure, I can now get the full range of sizes, but then I can't place each individual dab exactly where I want it.)

Anyway, thanks again for sharing this amazing creation with us Taron. Like the others here, I'd happily contribute some cash to support your further development on Verve. I'm an aerospace engineer by trade, so I have a bit of a grasp of the fluid dynamics and math side of things... and what you've pulled off here is truly impressive. :ob
Attachments
ocean_breeze_downres.jpg
ocean_breeze_downres.jpg (230.64 KiB) Viewed 12011 times

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 am

FIRST OF ALL: WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :beer:
Querty, that's a perfect first painting and, yeah, my joy factor went straight to fuzzy warmth, seeing the Bob Ross pleasure oozing from the canvas! c:! Love it!
Thank you so very much for your wonderful encouragement! You're feedback couldn't have come at a better time, really, you've made my day. :)

Now...
(1) ABSOLUTELY, that is and has been a fundamental part of my plans and will come. This will also include a direct way of loading different colors onto a single brush, just like Bob Ross liked to do. c:!
(2) you can already do that by using brush images with brush#9. Just make a little brush image with the colors you'd want to load (or even a whole sequence, if you like), toggle "USE" in the upper left brush image GUI and you'll have brush#9 with multicolored bristles! On top of that you can add hue variation between individual bristles in the tiny brush GUI on the right. It's one of the tiny dials... :oops: :) ...but, yeah, like I said above, this will all get a lot more natural with the next pallet.
(3) That just amazes me again, because just about two days ago I thought about that EXACT thing again, being a little angry that I don't have one of those myself. But, yes, I'd love to put that in as well, as much as I'd love to have on of those... :|
(4) Ugh, yeah, that's a really tricky one, which one might not realize, but it's almost asking for a specific mode to do that "naturally". I have no definite answer for that, yet. I might be able to track the pen pressure changes and pick the apex? Hard to tell...but it will feel a bit strange, I'm sure. I'll make some more tests. :geek:

All in all, FANTASTIC feedback, very motivating and it comes with a super sweet painting, which makes me hope for more from you and confirms the path I've been taking with Verve. Also, not too surprisingly, it's actually the same for me when it comes to other paint apps...it's like stepping back into digital times, isn't it. Verve still has long ways to go, but with such powerful and beautiful affirmations like yours, it's skipping ahead happily! :D
Cheers and, again, Thank You! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and the thoughtful reply! :beer: I'm not sure why I didn't think to just use a multi-colored image for brush #9, but now that you said it it's so obvious :lol: I really appreciate you being so receptive to feedback and I absolutely plan to share more Verve creations here in the future. Your positivity is really infectious and it sure seems like this is a great little community here! Cheers! :beer:

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:46 pm

It makes my everyday! 8-)
Can't wait for your gallery thread to manifest and fill up with more and more goodness! Oh, there was this other artist on youtube, who tries to carry on the Bob Ross tradition and he's been doing some really sweet paint-along clips. I think, I was showing one thing I did early on in one of my videos...anyway, he's got something you might want to check out, too!? AHH, Kevin Hill, I think! Inspiring stuff. c:!

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Playing with settings. Trying to get used to the interface. :geek:

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Nice, very painterly! :ob (I can't wait to really take care of the interface, haha! :oops: )

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:31 am

Taron wrote:Nice, very painterly! :ob (I can't wait to really take care of the interface, haha! :oops: )

thanks mate :beer:

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Your painting is gone again... you can absolutely upload an attachment here as JPG below 256kb! :ugeek:

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 pm

I have no actual idea what I'm doing, but enjoying the ride.
appx 90 minutes, Verve default canvas, 2 layers. Brush 9 (I think)
referenced from photo
Attachments
verve_3_08-Sep_2017.jpg
verve_3_08-Sep_2017.jpg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 11710 times

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:26 pm

That indeed is creepy and awesome for a first doodle in Verve. I can only imagine what you will do... pretty freaking cool! 8-)
There are so many ways to work with Verve, well, it's practically like a little world of paint media. All the different blending techniques and paint qualities you can dial up. Besides the fluidity, which may well stay on 0, actually, the "fluid smudge" is one of the most important parameters to control. Though, at the end they all can be vital for what ever you wish it to feel like. I really have to make some tutorials on all possible standard styles. But I know you'll get through it all by yourself just fine, looking at what you've already done! c:!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, that's for sure! :beer:
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks