Everybody's First Doodle

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 am

Re: Everybody's First Doodle

https://validtility.deviantart.com/art/ ... -710483213

My first doodle after reading through the info. I found out about verve quite recently and started searching on youtube for more info when I came across someone that recorded some interesting brushes he used in verve. And it really clicked with me, I love using massive amounts of lines and random chaos to create concepts. There aren't any good software for this, or even brushes really. But verve, is fluid simulation! In essence, no two strokes is ever the same. I tried learning to make brushes and settings that resembles the video I saw. I'm not really a painter or artist I would say, I mainly model 3D, but drawing is very important too, but I just don't have the time or patience to make a concept painting for 3 hours and then start 3D. I love verve! And I'm completely blown away by it.

2 Points I feel like adding about the software now that I've tested it out some is the canvas size. Todays computers can probably handle larger sizes now. Second is the project save time. It's a bit long, but I have no idea how this kind of file is saved to begin with... and compared to rendering 3D images it's nothing xD I just felt that if those two could be improved It'd be great. Though honestly it works excellent as is, I've yet to find a single bug or complaint, it's all so amazing! Thank you so much Taron!
The canvas is the stage and the paint is the orchestra. I'm only the conductor, along for the ride.
https://validtility.deviantart.com/
System Info: Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core i7-3770k @ 3.50 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 980 4GB.

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:57 am

First of all: Welcome to the forum, Validtility! :beer:
What a fantastic first doodle this one is! :ob
I'm assuming that you've seen some of puds videos, who is the absolute master and- as far as I can tell- the inventor of this technique in Verve. :bow:

Anyway, Verve can have as large a canvas as your graphics card permits for a single "texture image". But it requires several layers to do its thing, running into memory and performance limitations at least 4 times earlier than a single image would.
The project saving is indeed rather slow, but that's because I am using BlitzMax, which has to jump through a number of hoops to perform all the necessary actions, chief of them is the memory transfer of large amounts of data. Internally the layers are at 32bit per channel and I'm pulling that data from the card into memory chunk by chunk and crunch them with standard zlib compression, making this a slow procedure. I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to do a faster routine later on in C++, but I won't really know until I'll have done. :shrug: There's always hope! :)

All in all, I'm very thrilled about your post, everything about it including the impressive and ominous first doodle! :shock: :twisted:
You should make yourself a signature here via the User Control Panel, and include your system specs and most certainly a link to your 3d stuff, because I'd love to check that out, too!

Again, welcome to the forum and you are very welcome! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and questions answered Taron! I see, I forgot it uses textures. Verve really is quite unorthodox after all :o I'm impressed as always.
I fixed my signature? I think? And all my stuff - good or bad - can be found in my deviantart gallery. I suggest going to it and press "All" in sorting gallery images to the top left almost, since I'm really horrible at sorting stuff! xD
The canvas is the stage and the paint is the orchestra. I'm only the conductor, along for the ride.
https://validtility.deviantart.com/
System Info: Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core i7-3770k @ 3.50 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 980 4GB.

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Awww, man, I'm excited for you! :bounce:
I mean, you'll have some crazy fun with Verve, I just know it! :D
...once you really figure out what you can do, it should make a very natural companion for ya'!

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 am

where my hand went after I played with brushes for a (long) bit

instagram \\ tumblr for abstracts

[AMD Radeon HD 7600M, Core i5-3210M, Windows 7]

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 am

OH... :o ...that is frightening!
Wow, you come with a strong style right off the bet, though! Very, very cool and strongly expressive! :shock:
...funny, because it reminds me a little of "trash polka" or what that tattoo style is called. Neat! :ob c:!
Can't wait for your gallery thread to emerge! AND, of course, for you to get your hands on a powerful machine to work with. (Had to repeat that here again, too!)
THANKS for sharing...and...dang! :? 8-)

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks, Taron! I do tend to gravitate to tattoo-like style, though I'm not familiar with trash polka apart from a google search I did just now, lol.

Gonna create that gallery as soon as there are things to show!
instagram \\ tumblr for abstracts

[AMD Radeon HD 7600M, Core i5-3210M, Windows 7]

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:01 pm

looks great, you are welcome c:! c:!
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 pm

My first painting of sorts after familiarizing myself with the program. This is one of my first landscape type pieces as well, inspired by Bob Ross and this magical new tool set

(Taron, here I made use of those fractal brush artifacts I was talking about, not always a bad thing!)

bobs forest 2 (levels) small.jpg
bobs forest 2 (levels) small.jpg (241.66 KiB) Viewed 10233 times
System: 2.8 GHz Q. Core Xeon E5462 x2 / EVGA GeForce GTX 770 / Windows 7 / 6GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:14 am

This is freaking BEAUTIFUL, Claytown! It really is absolutely magical and ominous at the same time. So many brilliant suggestions in there, too, like it was a carefully conceived painting with almost photoreal elements and then you went totally DADA over it, or so, hehe. Very, very artistic! c:!
Oh, I can't wait for your gallery either! I find myself telling that to virtually everybody, but I really mean it, too. :shrug: ...however, I do somehow now expect quite a magical thread! :)
I somehow imagine you can understand how thrilled it makes me feel, when I see somebody, who should really be using Verve, too! I'm excited! :hyper:
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks