With verve into the light

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 am

Re: With verve into the light

Oh, this is really fascinating, Knacki! You've done a nice job. This artist has a curiously keen sense of proportion and took great care to achieve a certain "ideal". Whether this is just a kind of intuition he couldn't escape from or really meticulous design, he ends up getting these beautiful shapes that maintain balance as well, effortlessly.
When you've created your tribute, you've hit the right ingredients, but may have overlooked this balance in the figures themselves, especially that "mother", I suppose. In a way, I imagine that it takes great practice to create figures with such simple strokes. One would likely want to do countless poses and make sure they have the right proportions and keep balance.
In your case, she's literally falling forward rather than rushing, her arm is too long, too and the folding in her skirt (though nice) doesn't show the complexity in responds to the volume of the figure. If you try to study it more closely, you'd discover the intricacies that make his work so compelling.
Overall, though, the reference is very clear and you've hit the feeling quite well! Thanks for pointing this stuff out, too! Very inspiring and worthy of examination, too! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:29 am

Oh yes, you are right. Lots of differences that are taking away the original magic.
It was just a very quick study for this technical style, not standing a sophisticated critique.
I missed the balance and the elegance of the original quite a lot.
Same with composition, as I used default verve canvas, which is 16:9 and original is approx 4:3. The dynamic figurs are a challange.
The "sculpted" dress was much more difficult to do than I thought in verve.
But, with a bit more time and patience, a digital cpoy of this style should be possible.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 am

Yeah, that's just the thing. Those studies should certainly be meant to teach one about deeper dimensions of art. You're not supposed to become an art forger, hahahaha, but that's exactly for why I gave you my feedback. I can't know, how much of all this has been clear to you already, you know, so I figure I just share all my thoughts and see, if anything resonates with you then.
I know what you mean about the "3d modeling" aspect of Verve. It's not a 3d modeling tool, but when I play with it that way, I also sometimes can't help myself and ponder about how I could improve that part of it, too, hahahaha. Man, I really have to be careful about my priorities, don't I. :P
However, similar to the challenge one might have with real paint, it is about the strokes, knowing what they'll do. 3d modeling sometimes suggests that you may spend any amount of time to noodle around on forms, while in a painting like this it really is all about knowing your strokes and trusting your intuition and understanding. I should make some experiments, too. c:!

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks for your feedback anyway. Very much appreciated and much more convincing than just Lobpudelei ;)
It was just at the end of an ineffective working day.Just to do something "nice" for 30 Min.

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Oh, don't worry, Knacki, I absolutely enjoy seeing even quick doodles, which also show an inner process of growth that is beautifully generous in my eyes and I wouldn't want to miss these!
When I praise what you're doing, it's because it's exactly what I feel! Don't ever think it's was patronizing in any way! It fills me with pure joy, my friend, pure joy and even wonder at times. :)

Every doodle is a treasure! :bounce:

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 pm

This one, I already forgot.
Happened during my fluid experiments and suddenly became solid and quite vivid.
Concept.jpg
Concept.jpg (235.8 KiB) Viewed 6781 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Reminds me of the good old days! :)

Post Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 am

I like ist dear Knacki, great sketch c:!

ps. you called the last image concept.jpg - so you will made an detailed illustration from it?! :)
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:20 am

Very nice, Knacki! I like your style. c:!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Hey Knacki,

I am kicking myself for not being around lately. Just too much going on. Between you, Zero and others the forum has been busy :) You especially have been on a spree. Wow. It’s good to see. Let me see. Where did I leave off?

The River. This is such a luminous and atmospheric painting. It is right up there with your best in it’s own category. It almost seems like there is naiad wreathed by the mist in the very back.

Characters - Its fun to see your symmetrical characters. Looking at them, it would easy to go deeper in a fantasy painting using them as subjects in different poses. The turtle shell made me grin :)
Cute Girl is giving me a professional animator feel. Well done.
Desert fits right in with your minimalist style and I like it except for the sun. It just seems it would be better with a shade of haze on the rim. It’s too perfect. What I like the most is the actual lighting and the right side especially.
Sea Palace 2 is Mystical, Atmospheric and like Taron said. “Story oozing out of it.” Hmmm. Makes me want to go back to The River and start a story with a Naiad and lead it from River to Desert to Sea Palace and beyond.
GirlPortrait. Personally, I like this. It reminds me of the Blade of the Immortal artist and the chalk effect is outstanding.
Girl Sketch through Girl Afro 2 and your avatar. “But I need these lines, I am not a real painter” thppppttt! All I need to discredit that statement is to go back to the River hehe. You have endowed her with a lot of character A+++
Packed Head - Sometimes tests lead us into the wonderful and unusual. I like the sketch effect you have here.
Portrait Test 6v- The story with the Naiad needs an antagonist and I think this is the one :) Blinded by the sun and barely surviving by running into a pyramid she has been tracking the Naiad on her perilous journey through the desert to the Sea Palace.
Character sketch exercises. Everyone should do these for fun and practice.
CuteWeb Ref - Ilustrator Par Excellence!
Sexy! - Wonderful approach. She definitely has “tude”
Splash Mountain - Very topographical and pleasing colors :)
V4D - This looks very spacy. Nice color combo :)
Black Composition through Black Snakes - These are just too cool (thumbs up)
Fluid Ocean or Dune? Who cares? It Rocks!
Fluid Ocean through 38 jpg. Great series here and wonderful effects.
26 through 25 series by post. Very minimalist and fun but 39 stands out from the rest with its great use of color. I am dubbing it the Modern Yin and Yang :)
Two Stroke Poem and the golden stroke. Wow! I prefer 39 but this is only behind by a hair.
Rabbit! What can I say? I love this.
Yoda! I think the force was you on this one. Great style :) I believe the word Taron was reaching for was etching. Very crisp.
Vervy Metal banner does remind me of Diablo as Pilou mentioned and Verve Big 2 banner. Spot on and makes me want to try it also.
BernardNdichuNjuguna I like the subject and believe it made for great practice. I am not going to look at the original. I like this one lol.
Concept - Very solid and Vivid indeed. There is a story connection also as the hero trying to find the Naiad makes his entrance ;)
Pheww you almost made me work this time. Great ride you have been on!
Tartan
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks