Lord of the Springs...

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Lord of the Springs...

Hey, I've just released my first VST instrument, which I created exclusively for the KVR Developer Challenge 2016:
http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2016/
(You'll find it further down the page, of course!) :geek:

Like with Verve, it has a completely procedural GUI, but also the entire sound is procedural, based on my own spring system concept. It's quite fun and it's free, too, of course! ;)
I wrote it entirely in C++, which doubled as an excellent exercise for me as I am thinking about migrating over to C++ with Verve as well, though, I'm not entirely sure about that, yet. I enjoy C++, though. It offers a good deal more raw power than BlitzMax, even if the latter doesn't have to go hide! 8-)

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know what I'm up to besides Verve, trying to keep my brains in action and preparing for the next great push! :rock:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Lord of the Springs...

I just read you comment in the Borhani thread and I must say the same you wrote there. :-) It is great you are back and alive! Physically and in this forum! :D

I am very keen to check your VST!! Thank you for posting this GREAT news! BTW what about your Cirque?

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 pm

..WOW :bow: The results sounds are very unique! I like sliders for detuning the springs. Very neat idea. And rgb buttons too! Haha. GREAT man!! :rock:
I wish you good luck in the challenge. IMHO I think your VST deserves to win..

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Ahahaha, THANK YOU, Lemi! :beer:
Yeah, I can't imagine that, but I really would love those little monitor speakers. I've got only crappy little desktop speakers for the last 9 years I think... meh.. but I can't permit myself to buy anything nicer. Ah well... it's some sort of disorder of mine, hahaha, just never think I'm worth it for myself... bizarre, somehow, isn't it?! :shrug:

Anyway, YEAH, no, yes, I just love the chance to get my vst adventures out there, see if I can connect with people and wonder, if my ideas resonate with them, hehe. It's really also what I love to do and you know it! :rock:

Again, thank you so much for your encouragement and we shall see! I'm already enjoying it a lot, though. It's been a crazy dash of coding, too. Thus far, I can honestly say that only good as come of it, regardless the outcome! I'm even looking forward to bug reports and learning of some wishes, you know! :)

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Taron, hi Lemi, how are you ?
Your demos sound fantastic Taron, i like especially the way the pitch and pitch variations are managed, again something that is uncommon and gives creative results. I definitely need to try your VST !
System info: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, i7-5820K 8GB, Windows 10, Wacom Intuos Pro M
Visit my photostream: http://flickriver.com/photos/24151359@N ... teresting/

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:31 am

Oh, please, do! Thank you, Gbo!
I only wished, I was allowed to post improvements, because I already have a bunch. I do think all of them could be labeled "fix", but they do represent quite some change. So that's a bit annoying... but once the challenge is over, I will certainly post new versions! I'm kinda excited about it! :)

Post Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm

>Taron
Whaaat? You create all your great music with the crappy plastic speakers?? No special monitors or at least headphones?
So far, I havent found any bug in your VST! Only if I can mention two thing I noticed:
1. Currently the second small display shows value that a user stumbled across. Maybe it can be better to show last set value. What do you think?
2. I understand the presence of keyboard - because of the sliders. Maybe the keyboard looks so much dead. What about to show which note is played. I know any good DAW contains its own keyboard but I think your VST will definitely get more impress with this feature. And.. allow to press a keyboard key with the mouse click. :)

>Gbo
Nice to hear from you! Long time I havent seen any post from you here. I hope all is good with you.

Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Haha, yeah, I have ok headphones, which I'm happy with, but, yes, only crappy speakers. I haven't had anything that would create a decent base for over 20 years. :(

Sweet, ok:
1. I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You mean it shouldn't switch display on mouse over? Sounds a bit scary... :?
2. ABSOLUTELY, I literally didn't get to it. I was planning on making it even really nice with properly animated keys when you play them as well as proper glissando, if you swipe across them. I also had planned to offer octave switching, but that's a little bit of a can of worms then, because of the purposely limited tuning. But, yes, absolutely! :ob

With every new gui there comes a moment of getting used to it, of course, but this one is so organic and spontaneous, it really is begging for a proper rework. Once all this is over, I want to dedicate some time to really improve that, but also add all the features I still want in there, including a much more sophisticated sound engine with much greater spectrum, hopefully as far as a nice string like sound... hmmm... Lord of the Strings?! Hahahaha.... yeah, why not. Maybe I call it "Lord of the springs - Return of the String"... :lol:

Post Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 pm

..speakers.. You still amaze me more and more :-)

..Or you can call it - Lord of the springs - Two springs :-)

Regarding the point one I wasn´t right. Sorry. Your approach is good!

BTW Do you know Pocket Blakus cello? Nice free cello sounds: http://blakus.com/pocketblakus-192
Unfortunately for Kontakt.. but I was able to resampled to wavs in my DAW..

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Lemi, I'm fine thanks, my main problem is so little time for so many hobbies :PP

Hi Taron, how did you make this Theremin sound in Demo02 and Theremin songs ? and how do you control its pitch with that glissando ? by moving the mouse on one of the horizontal sliders, really ? :?:
The new demo (Demo03) is fantastic too BTW (the kick has too much "snap" for me though, the snare is just perfect, the marimba sequence in background is awesome !).
Factory presets for all these sounds are welcome, and/or a video tutorial (if possible displaying keys on/off, sustain and pitchbends so that we can understand what's going on here)

All in all, many thanks for this VST !

(I found the "change color" hidden feature c:! )
System info: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, i7-5820K 8GB, Windows 10, Wacom Intuos Pro M
Visit my photostream: http://flickriver.com/photos/24151359@N ... teresting/
Next

Return to Off Topic