Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Suggestions

AH, see, a really nice list of suggestions. Doesn't matter, if some were double or so, really no problem at all! ;)
1) HAHAHA! Yes, more undos would be nice. I've already thought of a solution, but it's all tricky as long as I don't know how to reliably measure the available graphics memory! Let's just say: It's part of the plan!
2) I thought about double click to reset and right click for options such as numerical input, set user default and restore original default. Right click has the added advantage that you will not accidentally alter the value...but...meh. Maybe I can customize such behaviors, too.
3) Hmmmm...that's still a whole revision away and was part of my original plans a few years back, which also relates to the later suggestion of yours. The wetness should almost be independent from the paint and so forth, creating a more conceivably "real" interaction. It's in my thoughts!
4) Freeze you mean? [Ctrl] + [D]
5) Well, for tilting to be any nice to work with, I would want a more complex fluid behavior, because otherwise it really wouldn't feel right. I've done it already and you don't want it as it is. Again: To be developed! But I like and want it, too.
6) I'm so angry at that, because my plan from day 2 onward was to make this insane brush engine with bristle simulation. This is years before any of those apps existed. But I never made a proper GUI for the brush and kept it pushing off... I'll do some fun stuff for that eventually! Unlikely that I'll put a 3d brush up there, though. I find them annoying, personally, and would prefer a more practical take on that. But who knows...
7) AH, BUT OF COURSE, yes, yessss, yes, of course. Again, a long time plan of mine to make a nice color pallet together with a neat take on swatches around it. I've got such fun ideas for that...can't wait to make that happen!
8) Hmmm...tsss....meh...I'm reluctant to do that, because I've never meant to rip off ArtRage and feel like it's kind of their trademark. I may offer some concept of this kind, because it just makes too much sense not to, but we shall see...
9) Part of the plan! I wrote a nice text input a few weeks ago exactly for these things, including numerical input (and network input...oh god, did I say that out loud?!).
10) I can make that clearer. The GUI is terrible right now and still needs a lot more things, including a scrollbar and so forth... there are other matters in regards to layers that I'm pondering over for a while now. I may do something seemingly insane, but we shall see about it. If my plan works, I might abolish layers altogether and do something unheard of, which may cause some screaming, hahahaha...but hopefully some happy screams, too! 8-)
11) Yes, mandatory, agreed!
12) That's what I meant up there at point 3. Let's skip that for now! But it's an ultimate plan...
13) In a way that also relates to point 3 and 12. The nature of Verve is currently a little different. You wouldn't want to switch swatches and suddenly have a different fluidity. It would cause major upset, trust me! But later on...possibly. Opacity I could make optional, true. I would find it distracting and possibly more of a handicap than a benefit, but technically it's no problem, of course.
14) You mean to TRACE? Hmmm... I could add something like it, yes. If it was only for color picking, though, note that you can pick colors outside of Verve as long as the Verve window is still active and you hold down [Alt]!!! :ugeek: :D
15) AAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhh.... :cry: ...I want one, too, danged. I still have only an Intuos 3, if you can imagine. I have a rotten Cintiq Companion, but the built-in graphics weren't really up to snuff. Yeah, customization for the GUI is a big part of my plans! That includes size changes!
16) You will get custom storage for brushes, which will replace the number keys as they are now. You can exchange them or rather make your own set of brushes and save that collection and all that jazz, definitely all part of the plan!
17) It's possible in Verve now! While 2,3 a circular, 4 and 5 are elliptical, brush #10 for brush images is square at bias 0 and gets a round cutoff you can dial up with the bias (using the black "preview" as dial!). But, yeah, all part of my custom brush engine later on anyway. It's all just waiting for the complete brush GUI!

So, yeah, loved going through your suggestions. I wouldn't want to have it any other way. I only have to ask you to be patient with me, please! I'm certainly excited to get Verve there and beyond. :hyper:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 am

please please "TOP SECRET" code for verve :hihi:
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:26 pm

cel animation

A timeline, onion skin etc. and the possibility to distribute recorded stuff to timeline and export as image sequences.
Finally I really would say that verve is at a point where it could play a surprising role in avant-garde animation or traditional animation like this guy is doing:
https://pengbitao.deviantart.com/
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Thank you Knacki for your support and Taron for your detailed answers.
Take your time. When you make all these things you have in mind, then Verve will be even more outstanding!
Windows 10 professional, Notebook with Intel Core i7-6700 4Ghz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 980 with 8 GB RAM, Cintiq 27'

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:01 am

I know UI will be changed completely later, but for existing UI I have some questions - inspirations, experiences, comments.

1. crop/load/save -> this really needs the word on top of each button, like you have done for warp etc..

2.Even me, after working with verve for so many years, I often forget to look at this changing text field and search for load and save, as I am not using hotkeys for that funnily.
What ever you plan with new UI once - skip this text field and find another solution, or make it much, much more obvious and better connected.
For a beginner, I think it's super frustrating. For a "veteran" it still does not work like it should be. It's just a 50% hit at first glance.

3.If buttons have text on it, text is very shy -> almost unreadable until you hoover above. "Image Brush" word is an exception. Words are there to be read first, easy & quick. After, there is design. Specially on a tool like verve, imho.

4. Why is the brush image field that big? I mean the space above the buttons. You are saving so much space on the right, reducing everything to the very minimum. But there you are wasting space? Very taron unlikely.

5. As Tildee said, it would be lovely to have a reset function for tiny little knobs and a numerical input. CTRL+LMB click for reset, double click for numerical input?

6. Icons for paint, erase, smudge and average are not really working visually. They are super big but without real visual information. Common visual language icons could help for paint, erase & smudge at least and are realized in a much smaller way. Average?...hmmm.

7. The overall appearance of verves UI is not attractive & inviting, starting from old fashioned color choice to too much unexplained knobs.
I am a nerd, one who wants to find the easter egg. But verves UI, as it actually is, makes most things much more difficult to visually understand, than it is necessary.
And it is not sexy enough to forgive this weakness.

The main program I am working with is visually almost unchanged since 1990 and very DOS. I am really used to pain. ;)
But in times of smartphone apps doing a pretty attractive UI design layout "in a few seconds", it can't harm to overthink it all very carefully, before doing a new design.

For inspiration:
I really like Infinite painter with it's light design, reduceable to the very minimum. The toolbar is customizable and gives you access to almost everything needed for 80% of your work. But if you go into deep there are very powerful tools to do almost anything.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nter&hl=de
But it started quite unfocused and confusing
http://www.trustedreviews.com/guide/bes ... te-painter

Affinity photo is pretty as well.

Sure, it is often a matter of taste as I don't like bright UI's at all and I never will.
I am a vampire ;)

Maybe, meanwhile,1&5 would be a lovely gift. Mostly 5 Image

Post Fri May 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi Taron,

What a wonderful piece of software, congratulations. I wondered if you have plans of including a scripting ability in the future? I would love to be able to construct drawings with Verve Painter by writing some scripting code and then having Verve process it line by line...

For instance, something like the following would set the fluid value, set the brush size, color, and then draw a line from one corner to the other...

setFluid(.5)
setMaxSize(30)
setMinSize(20)
setColor(1,0,0,.5)
mouseLine(0,0,800,600)

Obviously, all these functions already exist, as they're interacted with through the gui-- and mouse movements. So I suppose my suggestion would be to open up the API to be accessed via a script processing feature, I suppose?

Site Admin

Post Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi Rudnik,
welcome to the forum, of course! :beer:
Yes, sure, this is absolutely possible and partially prepared already. Not long ago I made a recording/playback test that is in the current version. It shows exactly this ability, except that I haven't written an interpreter, yet, for text. There are many reasons for why I really love the idea, too. More exciting and adventurous it will become for me to properly execute math, too, because that really could lead to some fascinating explorations. :hyper:

Great suggestion and right along the lines of where things are headed! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Rudnik,
welcome.
Until things are implemented you may wanna have a look at GboGbo's gallery. There you'll find some experiments he made with open processing and verve starting here:
viewtopic.php?p=11442#p11442

Post Sat May 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Taron. That's very exciting to me that things are headed in this direction. It saves me the effort of writing a Java Robot simulator! :)

And thank you Knacki for that link-- it's very cool that I'm not the first thinking in these terms about the possibilities with Verve and math!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Perhaps support for .PSD import and export? 8-)
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]