Exception access violation

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Exception access violation

Run into a saving bug just now. I had imported a jpg image as reference and I was painting on a new layer. After a while, I thought I should save in case it would crash... which made it crash :D

I seem to remember it saying something like "Exception access violation", then closing itself, and saving a 1 kb blank .vrv. Perhaps it's a bug related to importing and saving external images.

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Exception access violation

Hm :? ...what resolution was that jpeg at?
I've just tried it with a 2700x3400 jpeg, added a layer, painted a little and saved it as .vrv and it worked just fine. Can you make another test? See, if that always happens for you. And if it's a specific image, can you send me that image?!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:54 pm

It was 3648 x 2736. I tried again with just a few strokes, and that works.
It might have been random - but already with those few strokes, it was 28 mb, so with the amount of strokes I had in the one that failed to save, it might have been quite a lot bigger!

EDIT: Actually, when not doing *just one* stroke, but bigger strokes and more of them, I consistently get this error (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) across several different jpg images with that resolution. Tried to downscale it a little bit, and that worked, with a similar amount of strokes.

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Oh ok, that narrows it down well! Thanks! Yeah, I should switch to scanline saving rather then trying to cram one image into one compressed bank for each layer. I was afraid this could become troublesome. So, yeah, I'll address that. The reality is, I really never expected Verve to work decently beyond 2k, but the current version already handles it surprisingly well and the upcoming version is even faster! So...yeah... I'll fix that. In the meantime, hehe...:? just watch out with the resolution! :shrug:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]