Problems with importing images and colour differences.

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Problems with importing images and colour differences.

Heyo everyone. I'm trying to import an image I rendered out of MODO into Verve and I'm getting problems here.
First of all oftentimes nothing happens when I try to load the image I want. I tried it both as PNG and JPG unsuccessfully (although it did work with other images) but after "Save for Web" as JPG with different file names it suddenly worked, but only after several tries.
I also tried a high-res JPG photo from my hard drive and it didn't work either. So far I haven't managed to pinpoint what causes Verve to not load an image but it doesn't seem to be about resolution alone since eventually it did load in my 4096 x 4096 image.

Now that the image is inside Verve there seem to be some colour or gamma issues though, as you can see here by comparison:

Any idea what's causing this?

Cheers,
Chris

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Problems with importing images and colour differences.

Hey Chris,
Verve can only handle resolutions up to what ever your graphics card can handle. 4k is really on the very rim of most. The formats themselves should not cause any troubles (jpeg nor png).
Verve lights the canvas, meaning that you don't see the pure RGB values of your image, but the lit painting on a canvas. If you want to get pure RGB values, you can set the light to black and the ambient to white:
- set R,G and B to 0
- hit [L] (sets light color to current color)
- set R,G and B to 1.0
- hit [shift] + [L] (sets ambient color to current color)
That should be pretty much the same then, I believe. May have minor differences for imprecision, but you'll see (or not, actually). Main point is, if you were to save components (color and material), it would give you back your original picture!

I hope that clarified it a little bit. Let me know, if you still have troubles! :geek: :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Aaahh, damn - yeah I should've thought of the lighting thing. That makes sense, cheers!

However I did get issues when importing even smaller JPGs (1024x1024 and even smaller) - will check again tomorrow though.

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 pm

If you got a specific image that causes trouble, send it to me (give me a link?!) and I'll check it out! ;)

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:59 am

Okay, here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Wag6 ... sp=sharing

This is an 800x800 version of the same image and it won't load into Verve. When I try to load it in Verve just opens the loading window anew, every single time. It doesn't ask me to change the resolution and the image doesn't show up on the canvas.

With a 500x500 version and a 4096 x 4096 version of the same image it worked though. So it's not just resolution either. Maybe it has something to do with colour profiles or so?

If I open this 800x800 image into Photoshop and "Save for Web" with the exact same resolution, it suddenly works in Verve. Not sure what exactly Photoshop does when "saving for web" but the "saved for web" version is actually larger in size than the original; 256KB for the normally saved one, 268KB for the "saved for web" one.

Here it is for comparison: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Wag6 ... sp=sharing

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Hum...that's interesting. Yeah, that is apparently a different format of a jpeg then my loaders can handle. Curious! :geek:
Well, reminds me of the whole "doctor, it hurts when I lift my arm" thing, hehehe...
Eventually I will have to look at different file I/O solutions anyway, but for now you have to live with the web jpeg solution, I'm afraid. It's funny, because I haven't saved jpegs in any other way for the last 10+ years, but even when I render out jpegs from messiah, for example, it works just fine. So photoshop somehow must have either a very old version of their normal jpeg saver, or does something else that's mildly exotic, but still works with the web?! No idea...

Anyway, very interesting, thanks for bringing that to my attention! :? :ugeek:

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:02 pm

No problem. :)
It's no problem working around this issue if you know about it but it can be confusing if you don't, so I thought it's good to note this here. :)

Cheers

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]