Everyone, what Graphics Card are you using?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: Everyone, what Graphics Card are you using?

RTX 3090 24GB, i9-10900K

Dissapointing.

Fluently work possible on smaller than 3500x3500. Bigger = Black
2 Layer black on reopening, but solveable with crop on-off.
Can add multiple layers, tested 8 so far. Fluent , no probs. But impossible to open after saving. Violation, bla bla.

Still testing.
<3300x3300 13 Layers. No prob. Fluently working. Crash on reopening.

<3000x3000 20 Layers and still no end. Everything fluent and wonderful. Saves for ages. Crash on reopening.

Tests continues - the culprit is not the card, that seems to be sure now.

EDIT 3498x3489 4 layers. black on reopening but fine after 3x crop on-off :D
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:38 pm

I may have mentioned this a long time ago, but the "re-opening" violations and blackness come from 32bit issues and not the graphics card. I yet have to address those properly. Not sure if this will slowdown loading and saving, because it may actually do the opposite, because I'd have to stream directly smaller chunks of compressed data to the drive and from the drive. However, that card sounds amazing and I can't wait to let you full enjoy its power even with Verve!

Have to giggle with kind of an amazement at the whole crop on/off cycling success! :hihi: :shock:

Thanks for sharing, Knacki! :ob ...and congrats on the card! :hyper:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Thanks taron, that would be lovely. This beast doesn't even think about slowing down. Anything up to crash works fluently, even with 3500x3500 brush size!! :D

Anyway, I am already a bit uncertain if the card is best for my use.. It was a black friday decision without enough research before. A RTX3080 and a AMD 24 core 3960x threadripper for around same amount of money would have probably been the better choice for next 6 years? But it was a crazy offer which would be more than 800€ more now. Furthermore I was focused on single core clockspeed to much. But i'll test more and then decide. :D
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Knacki wrote:EDIT 3498x3489 4 layers. black on reopening but fine after 3x crop on-off :D

wtf seems like we have a nice trick here :hihi: sorry xD

Taron wrote:I can't wait to let you full enjoy its power even with Verve!

imho it will change everything Taron, if bigger canvas sizes are at artist disposal then complex composition paintings would be created.

Hi, dear Taron, this is somewhat related to GPU since the new Apple processor doesn't need a GPU xD, what do you think about that new Apple M1 chip?
I saw you made Vervette available, many thanks, I had a 2 min glance at it, please tell us, would it run on a tablet too? is that the intention of Vervette? to reach more portable users?
Please tell us your opinion about this context, which one are you more focused on currently and in the short term? Verve or Vervette?.

Best regards pals.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 pm

You know, I think this is the perfect thread for this question, Ed! :ob
Vervette's Fluid Sandbox happens to run on IPad and apparently Android Tablets as well. No idea how well it performs on an IPad pro, but I would guess it ain't too bad. How any of this will run on the new M1 chip I can't possibly tell right now. I hope, it will be good! :shrug:
Yes, the intention behind Vervette is to offer a cross-platform product that is easily available and cheap to start into so I can stop begging for donations and will know, if people really want my work. While I also just love the idea to make collaborations between artists easy and fun, including creative games, you know, such as cadavre exquis and the likes. Not to mention doing designs together, of course.
Currently I can only hope that Apple will evolve more than just their hardware choices, but make sure that webGL2 is supported on their new systems. That would surely make things a lot more exciting! :hyper:

I'm right now super impressed that the Fluid Sandbox runs perfectly at 4k here (3.5k really) on my Nvidia GTX 970. It's surreal to paint at that resolution. I don't think, I can ever go back, which scares me, because I still can't believe I have this monitor... it's like..."please, don't let this be a dream"... :hihi: :? I have improved quite a lot of things regarding the GL implementation, which later will play a big role in Verve's evolution, too. Right now, even at 4k, if I go to some lower fluidity, my graphics card doesn't even flinch... fans are quiet... like it's all nothin'! :shock: :D :hyper: Amazing!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 pm

WebGL2 is support and runs on all apple machines.
the M1 chip is awesome! its next gen of CPU/GPU architecture, fast power efficient. the macbook runs 24 hours in tiny battery and its faster then any I9. Love it or hate but the new Hardware from apple is great ! finally some competition for dominance of Intel. the GPU on Ipad is also fast specs are like between 1080-2080 GPU.
Verve / Vervette on ipad runs as fast as own new RTX5000 Quadro card on my windows machine...
----------
Heri

system: thinkPad, Xeon 6core, 128GB, window10 pro, 16GB Quadro RTX5000,
https://heribert.ca

Post Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:09 am

hey knacki, congratulation for your new GPU - I will wait, after the Etherum-B*llshit is over, a lot of people did mining crypto-money- etherum - etherum similar nonsense like Bitcoin. And the prices of GPU too high ... thanx Etherum.
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:21 am

schwungsau how do you get Verve to run on Mac? Is that Bootcamp or does it run natively? I'm on MacbookPro and Air (except when using Verve ;> ).

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:40 pm

wine bottler...

it used the wine windows emulator to wrap into own app. but i didn use anymore for long time since now i have an extra windows machine for my remote work.
----------
Heri

system: thinkPad, Xeon 6core, 128GB, window10 pro, 16GB Quadro RTX5000,
https://heribert.ca

Post Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:29 am

It took too long to move out to my new system, but finally I got to do some tests using Nvidia Geforce RTX 4080 16GB with Verve painter v0.99v.37 and v0.99z.

In both version when creating a new painting and cropping (expanding) the canvas to 3650 x 4500...
they paint smoothly even with brush of Size 3000 (GPU goes around 84-92% usage, if HighSpeed is ON it goes to 100% usage),
they can save the painting (takes up to 60 secs to save);
they can load the painting (takes less than 6 secs to load) but opens with black screen, but it can be fixed by clicking many times on the crop button.

In both version when creating a new painting and cropping (expanding) the canvas to 4000 x 4600:
they paint smoothly even with brush of Size 3000 (GPU goes around 84-92% usage, if HighSpeed is ON it goes to 100% usage);
they can save the painting (takes up to 60 secs to save);
they can load the painting (takes less than 6 secs to load) but sometimes opens with black screen, and sometimes it can be fixed by clicking many times on the crop button, or other times the black screen stays forever, or other times it shows the "EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION" msg. Here I have noticed that when Verve is run, by default it opens with an empty canvas of the same size of the last opened painting (4000 x 4600 in this case). After several tests I'm sure that if you crop this empty canvas to something small like 2000 x 2000 before loading the 4000 x 4600 painting, it would allow you to fix the black screen by clicking on the crop button, or even it wouldn't show the black screen at all.

In both version when trying to crop (expand) the canvas to 4000 x 5000 it turn the screen black, but can be fixed by clicking many times on the crop button, but it can't save the file, it shows the "EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION" msg.

So, at least in my tests, both v0.99v.37 and v0.99z versions can handle the same canvas resolution.

PD: I see Verve remembers its last window position, size, and canvas size. But due to the reason explained above remembering the canvas size can cause bugs when opening 4000 x 4600 paitings, is there a way to set the "settings.txt" file so Verve is always opened with a canvas of 2000 x 2000 no matter what was the last canvas resolution used? Deleting the "settings.txt" doesn't work, Verve creates a new one with the same info.

All this info was intended to help Verve development, hope it's useful Taron.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]