shadow color

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 pm

shadow color

Hi! First of all, your program makes me suuuuper happy :ud: c:! But I have a question. I can change light color and ambient color, but even when I change them shadow always stays grey (0 saturation). Is there any way to change shadow color?

I'm talking about bumpiness

edit. yeah, I really really need to be able to change shadow color in order to get more pleasant looking artworks. Black shadows make them look really unalive :( (is that a word?)

Site Admin

Post Fri May 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: shadow color

Ah, thanks, O! :hug:
Ambient color is in this case a light straight at the canvas, while the light color comes from a light you can place anywhere. What you can do, which will simulate a pure ambient, is add another layer and set it to additive. (That's the little button toward the center of a layer slide called "MODE". You can click on it to toggle the different modes layers have. You'd want Mode "+")
Then you can fill this layer in the ambient color you want. I'd pick a very dark version of it, though! Hit control + shift + F to fill the whole layer with that color.
After that you can control the amount of influence this layer has by its Visibility. (That's the last dial on the layer gui).

You will see that it has an influence on the whole picture, as such an ambient would have. That means you really have to pick your colors for light and ambient light and the fill for that layer carefully, if you wish for it to sum up to white! Tricky thing sometimes, but it's possible and a nice challenge, too, haha. :oops: :hihi: ... I know.

But, yeah, that's one way of simulating that. And it is indeed how it is done anyway, except that you wouldn't know about it. Now you not only know about it, but you can even use this to play around in ways that otherwise would not be possible. You can paint on your "ambient layer", giving different areas slightly different colors. Of course, that would screw up the whole "sum up to white" aspect, but it may also look fantastic?! :shrug:... definitely worth a shot! c:!

I'm really happy to have you here! Very inspiring! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat May 02, 2020 11:46 am

I will try that out today, thank you!

You are making me use my brains :roll: :? :D

Site Admin

Post Sat May 02, 2020 11:55 am

That's one of the nicest things to hear! :D
By the way, of course you can take down the bumpiness altogether, which can sometimes be very nice, too. It all depends on what you wish to achieve or where your inspiration takes you.

Post Sat May 02, 2020 11:58 am

Taron, is there any other way to increase pressure sensitivity of a brush other than making it size 1500 with minimum size 0%?

And you answer so fast! It's almost like painting with a company :beer: :)

Site Admin

Post Sat May 02, 2020 12:12 pm

When I'm here, I'm here for you! 8-)
Verve just takes whatever pressure values come in, but you can likely alter the sensitivity curve in your Tablet's settings. I assume you have a Wacom tablet?
Most probably the tablet properties or "Wacom Tablet Properties" allow you to set the "Feel" of the "Pen". I hardly ever touch that, but I can see how one might want to find the right settings for the mood, hehe.

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]