Loki, first doodle

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06 am

Re: Loki, first doodle

Advice: JUST STICK WITH YOUR INTUOS and your desktop PC! Wait a few years and see, if Wacom ever decided to put a respectable graphics card into their Cintiq or make it replaceable. Then you may consider spending insane amounts of money on one of those things. But right now...just don't!
I've got the most expensive cintiq companion (512) and it's kind of rubbish. Intel HD 4000 is in there, which feels like the cheapest possible mobile card and is dog slow for openGL. The handling of the Cintiq doesn't motivate me to even try to get really used to it, while I still did and couldn't thus far. The technology or organization of it is still immature, having idiotic things happening such as a changed resolution (so you can read something on the display) won't stay true after shutdown. When you restart it, the display is set to full resolution, but the content is on the small resolution you picked earlier, making it impossible to type anything in there or select anything. If you then do not have a keyboard to use, you'd be totally screwed, hahaha... it's ridiculous. But all that is nothing compared to the lousy gfx card issue and the massive price of it. :evil:

Intuos all the way!!! :D

AH... BEAUTIFUL PICTURE, by the way...or while I'm yelling, haha! :lol: ...it's very classic, in a way, almost like an 80's airbrush poster of sorts for some reason, but really pretty! Well done! 8-)
AND I really love that you put those WIP stages down there. It's a fantastic habit that I hope you'll keep! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:18 pm

hi again!

It's a bit sad to hear that Wacom is not really making cutting-edge Cintiq's, but then again, let's see what the future brings, true true...

I heard you got in contact with enki again! nice! it's good to get in touch now and then, exchange ideas and see what the other guys have been up to.
Maybe hear you on thursday nights then, when we're all geeking away!

Intuos it is, for now... I'll ask a fellow geek to bring his low-cost (well.. lowest of the range, at least) Cintiq, to try Verve on it, connected to my (very beefy) laptop.. but if that doesn't cut it, I might simply buy a new Intuos.. mine is physically falling apart after years of 'artistic abuse' ;-)

(and most certainly, I'll keep up the habit of saving intermediate steps.. it's kind of interesting to see how it evolves, indeed. I'm also using Verve now as a physical real-paint (oil and acryl) experimental base, and that's also the reason
why I save those in-between steps, as a reference for layered painting on canvas later)

thanks for the good advice and the encouraging posts!
greetz,
loki

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 pm

@Taron: you now have official greetings from Frank Aalbers (via facebook)
He hasn't seen Danny for quite a while, and still works at Pixar indeed. Everything going great in the States!

(I advertised this forum a bit - while at it - for the big get-together one day, hehe... maybe Frank will come and have a chat here, one of these days..)

greetz!
loki

Post Thu May 01, 2014 10:17 am

Hey loki,

Your last picture has a great atmosphere, very cool.
Personally I enjoy sometimes drawing videos, or zbrush videos of creation more, than the final piece.
Seeing a gifted person finding his way to final piece is, following the enigma of creativity untill you see step by step what only exist in the artist brain before.

You will love verve on a cintiq monitor.
I just have a pretty old 21ux v1. Those days when they really produced high end quality.
It's lovely.
Sure you got some distortions at 1cm distance to frame.
But it's lovely. Must be much better on 24" in HD resolution.

You are talking about "old" geeks, or something like that.
One should also consider that eyes are not getting better.
Me I really had to concentrate a lot using a zBrush UI on a cintiq companion.
Beside the need for glasses, I found myself not feeling comfortable using a "big screen" UI on that small monitor.
Tiny , tiny , tiny.

With an intuos pro I have some driver issues with verve. On my lenovo w520 it works fine, but on same PC my cintiq is connected, it doesn't recognize the pen tilt.
Touch function is fun. For first 30 minutes. After that you'll switch off. For ever.
Maybe, if you spend some time in configuration, but for now, it's switched off.

Loki, I am looking forward to follow your verve explorations.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Thu May 01, 2014 11:43 am

hey Knacki!

thanks for the extensive advice... including your post, my choice-thoughts are condensing to picking the Wacom Cintiq Android Hybrid, and I'll test the (non-android, the simple one) Wacom Cintiq tonight from a fellow geek.
If that works nicely, I'll let my regular laptop do the math, and use the Wacom purely as an input-device. The extra Android support is not really needed, but I can always use it as a testing platfrom for the games we develop.

My eyes are not too strained.. I wear glasses, but even on my laptop's highest resolution (very tiny fonts while coding in Visual Studio etc.. I like a lot of info on my screen, big overview style) I still see well enough. Ruined my eyes
by reading too much when I was a kid, and the old 1084S monitor on my old Commodore was no joy for my eyes either I guess ;-) But still... somehow they recovered a bit, or got used to the eye-strain of computing.

We're a bunch of old farts, indeed.. average age around 35-40, I guess, and have almost seen the complete evolution of computing, so we're kind of privileged in that way, I find. Ah, nostalgia fun with good old '64 and later all versions of the Amiga.. switched to PC (skipped apple completely) rather late, coding in ASM/C/C++/C#/Objective-C and a bunch of other languages, drawing with DPaint and later Photoshop, Painter and such, modeling on Lightwave, modo, zBrush, mudbox, compositing with Fusion, you know.. the usual suspects. It's still good fun, and still learning every day, no? Even for old farts (like us, I presume) the modern age has its virtues... Damn I sound old when writing such nonsense ;-)

I'm already 'porting' some Verve experiments to the real world (well, the non-digital oil paint world, that is). Water-based oil paint.. it's a bit strange, because it sounds like eggs without proteins, but it works nicely. Drying time is a bit faster that regular oil paint, I get the impression, but it's far more friendly than acryl.. it has that buttery smudgy feeling of paint with patience, and gives you good advice back when being applied on the canvas, so to speak ;-)
Using 'Reeves water-mixable oil colour' and Winsor Artisan too, which has a bit better quality as expected.

Am looking forward to the experiment tonight.. trying Verve on a dumb (= no processor) Cintiq tonight, and will let you know all about it!
(I am highly critical about tools, so I wonder it it will pass the decency test.. hehe, not going to spend 1400 Euros on a crap tool of course. The Win8 Cintiq is already out of the picture on Taron's recommendations.)

Thanks a lot for all the good advice, dudez!
Muchos appreciated,

and lots of future artwork to come, of course.
I'll check out your artwork too, Knacki.. I see you have some 133 posts here on the forum, ah! a veteran!

greetz,
loki

Site Admin

Post Tue May 06, 2014 11:26 am

Ververan? :lol:
Oh god, I'm turning into a cheeseball... :roll:

Anyway, I think our ripe old age may allow us to particularly appreciate what Verve brings out of our current technology. And I've barely even started, yet.
Cintiq, however, makes you feel like we're still in the early 2000s.... :P ....sad thing! How did you feel about it?

Post Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 pm

well, I tried a simple Cintiq 13HD (the one that is only an USB input device, no processor or anything in there), on a beefy laptop, and I must say I actually liked it. It is slightly better than a regular wacom tablet, I think, because it feels intuitive to have this direct line under your pen, instead of the typical hand-eye-coordination of a wacom and a separate screen.
So... I think I'll buy one ;-)

(if I later find that it is crap, I'll simply sell it on, hehe... and leave a notice here)

Since I like an experiment now and then, and don't mind the cost, I'll go for it.
Not going for the Win8 version, but for the simple one. That's all I need, I guess.

Been painting in the real world quite enthousiastically too, again.. Verve brings out more than computer art urges in me, how peculiar ;-)

greetz,
loki

Post Wed May 07, 2014 7:01 am

Hey loki,

It's a good decission. If I need some mobile drawing, I go with ipad, procreate & adonit touch.
As long as verve is not available for mobile devices.
(I don't wanna see taron being lost in following ios and android updates, btw. Or people saying : " uh I spent 0 cent and there is one button not working- zero stars!")
Cintq hybrid with android don't have procreate available. But Artrage I guess ( better check, I only have an ipad) with stroke recording that can be played back in high resolution later on a desktop computer.

But nothing comes close to verve and as it seems reality has some nice features too ;)

Btw I started some acryl paintings after following some tuts first on corel painter.
But my semi talented but perfektionist mind was missing some computer tricks ;)
Maybe later.

Good luck in real world, I wouldn't mind seeing some digital work from you ;)
( is enki really still develloping Jimmy Rig? Is a cool tool but looks freezed for some years. Would love to play with it as a mixamo alternative)
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:09 am

In my continued slow quest through older threads of other's galleries from the beginning of this forum, i stumbled finally here. What a misfortune that
this thread had stalled. I wanted to give some praise to one special verve-painting, found here - it is that city view in a landscape. It almost, kind of
gives out a vibes of usual futuristic city visions. We definitely need more futuristic / cool architectural/ atmospheric verve-paintings to be in existence.
loki's city drawing made me think exactly about that - in a future to add something more on that. What a cool verve-painting he did. His both and so
far the only one's drawings surely gives out his capacity to produce verve-paintings in style!
Computing veterans surely know how to handle digital art meaningfully.

Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:15 am

Couldn't agree more. Real pity! :(
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks