dines sketch book

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:04 pm

Re: dines sketch book

I love the warm light play Dines!! And the 'focal shape' of the view too... oh, and the evil beady eyes lurking in the back. Such a sad robot character. :borg: :ob
Visit: http://www.k4icy.com/ dA: https://www.deviantart.com/mikek4icy FB: mike.maynard.9277 email: mikek4icy@gmail.com
System Info: NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 (12Gb), AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 Ghz, 16 Gb, Windows 11

Post Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:13 am

Thank you Taron and Mike! Here is another loose one ... follow the flow style. Not really used to it tho... My brain tries always to be more precise .. c:!

2023_04_04_doodle_023.jpg
2023_04_04_doodle_023.jpg (241.51 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:45 am

YES! Let yourself go a little like that, that's fantastic! Every now and then, reel it back in, do some precise stuff, tighten things up, just so you don't get pulled into super sonic flow speed, which becomes like a muscle thing at some point and is challenging to shake off again. But a few moments in the jet-stream are perfect!!! :hihi: :hyper: :ob :ob :ob

I still want to see a few more of these, GREAT STUFF! c:!

You could use these opportunities to also explore form, or silhouette a bit more and find your true proportions. This is a curious thing to do and can bring plenty of revelations also in regards to how you wish to mold your style a little to expand. What many don't know, but I do, is that you are a very good looking guy with wonderful proportions. It doesn't matter what the years in which we haven't seen each other might've done to you, since I haven't seen you in great many years, but I know your foundation and it's flipping great, dynamic, strong, quite classical in all the best of ways. I'm saying this, because when we express ourselves artistically, we basically give birth to our artistic self and our forms are like "infants" in their proportions, rather even, sometimes blocky, this is the baby-artist-self. And the more we mature, the more unfolds our true form. With these flowing exercises, you get a perfect chance to grow your artistic self, allow for it to mature. So.... besides excellent studies on light and composition, you may soon extend your studies to form, too. But do it all as relaxed as possible. It's about allowing yourself and not forcing yourself, of course!

Fantastic, altogether, I'm really exciting watching your gallery grow again! c:! :bounce:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:23 pm

Thank you very much! I'll keep trying...

If the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie ....

Today's painting not sooo loose .... a little bit more precise ... c:!

2023_04_05_doodle_024.jpg
2023_04_05_doodle_024.jpg (247.16 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

Damn .... now the song stuck in my head ... :hihi:

Post Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:05 pm

c:!
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:12 pm

Hahaha, very sweet! c:!

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:06 am

Today's painting ... looking at it from distance the eye part is a little off ... but nevertheless ... c:!

2023_04_06_doodle_025.jpg
2023_04_06_doodle_025.jpg (249.84 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:35 am

OH, no, that's GREAT! It shows the emergence of an interesting style of cartoons. Very cool! 8-) :ob
Yeah, the eyes are a bit all over the place, hehehe, but that could easily become part of the style itself. Listen to your own choices, what you believe would feel better to you! You might be looking for more OR less balance?!
I thought, I did put a horizontal flip into Verve, didn't I? YES, I DID: [F6].
This will help you see or even feel when things start to awkwardly lean towards one side or the other. No need to have anything symmetrical, but it's about a sense of balance and gaining control over relationships and proportions.
Things truly do not need to be symmetrical at all! But there is a certain flow or dance across the canvas that wants to give the viewer a sense of balance. It may even only be suggested by what's visible, if the viewer's imagination would be guided to sense a reason for balance outside of the image itself.
Anyway, let's not go too far, haha... :hihi:
Anyway, definitely a cool style in the making! c:!

Post Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:56 pm

Thank you Taron! I will incorporate the F6 flip ... I tried it already today.
I have questions for you :-) ... right now I am just painting what comes to my mind and with this I'll be all over the place. Would you recommend the bruce lee way? Practise one kick ten thousand times or the oppisite ... 10.000 kicks once. Meaning ... should I more focus and paint the same things repeatedly.
2nd Question. There is an option to paint light ... with the little "+" ... I really like this for painting highlights. Is there also something to paint shadows and do you recommend it at all? Or would you just pick the shadownish colors and freely paint it?

Anyway... today was not a real painting ... it was more a study for form, light ...shapes.... tried to be more precise for a flat shaded texture...

2023_04_11_doodle_026.jpg
2023_04_11_doodle_026.jpg (230.73 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:41 pm

Arrgghhh...well, Vervette has every conceivable blending option and then some (especially in my own edition, hehehe), but Verve only has 3 modes with 2 of them relating exclusively to build-up behaviors [>] {=} and the additive paint mode [+]. However, layers can be set to multiply, which is essentially like painting shadows. Can be very useful!

As for practicing one kick 10000 times, well... it's up to you, of course. I recommend staying focused on something until you feel like you have understood enough to explore other aspects. You will come back to those things all the time anyway. Thing is, you basically prime your observation skills until they become a part of how you paint and how you study what you see or want to see.

Look at your marquette there, for example. You don't really have any internal bounces of light, but when you look at how its right arm (to the left on the image) has a bright enough "biceps", it would certainly bounce some light into the shadow part of the head.
The torso, by the way, would be a bit bright, considering how surfaces that face in that direction appear to get far less light, not to mention the neck, which would be completely in shadow unless it was reflective and then it would reflect parts of both arms as well.
It's all about continuing to think of all your elements and what influence they all have on each other:
• which way do the surfaces face
• how much light will they get when they face in their direciton
• is the material dull, shiny or even reflective
• if it is shiny it should essentially also reflect bright surfaces that are similar to light sources, but just forwarding portions of the light
• what part of the light will get bounced... like if a surface absorbs a lot of color, then it should forward only what's left of the light (aka a red surface only allows red to bounce on and so on...)
• definitely consider drop shadows, when objects are in the way before the light could reach another object (neck in your case has the head in the way for the light to get to the neck)
• global shadows, like when the light that would come from all accessible angles is dimmed by elements in its way. This creates those soft shadows around connecting structures. But one has to be careful to distinguish between that effect and potential bounces.

So, yeah, a lot to think about and to become aware of. Eventually it's all in your mind and becomes intuitive. You will at some point not have to think about this anymore, because you just know. Sometimes even then it's good to think about all of it again.
You can make use of the layers in Verve to consider your light paths. It's fun to only paint light and then carve away where shadows would be, for example. Good fun!

Keep at it! c:!
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks