dines sketch book

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:31 pm

Re: dines sketch book

Hehehe, GOOD!
Thing is, I have over 30 years of experience with 3D and that's intense experiences at that. I'm a little out of practice with painting and all of it, but my mind still sees things in 3D volumes, lines and traces through space, it's just how it works in my head. :borg:
I can't exactly push that sort of vision into somebody else's head, of course, but I wouldn't mind trying, hehehehe... so, let's see!
Well, in Verve I hooked up that perspective grid. That's a fantastic orientation. Even that takes a moment to get used to, but this could help to prime your imagination quite a bit. I can imagine it helps to start thinking in terms of lines in space. Where would a straight line go, if it was rotated a certain way or if you were looking at it from a certain angle and so on. It's often merely a relative thing. Like with these balls, I would see where a straight line would go through them, for example. It's far more painful to do this for an entire scene without any kind of help by a grid of sorts, even when I use just an imaginary grid. But as soon as it gets to objects in this space, it is really second nature for me to "see" or "feel" it all.
And the same actually goes for light, how it travels into the scene and hits a surface. In my mind I evaluate the tracing rays, one could say.

Holy Moly, I just tried to draw a room from the top of my head without using a grid... it's not too easy for me anymore, haha... maybe it never was, I don't know, but dang. So, yeah, anyway, that's my thought on practicing pretty much straight line in an imaginary 3d space. Pfffff... tough. :shock:
Vervette_room.jpg
Vervette_room.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

So, ahm, haha, what's the lesson here? Ah yes: IT'S TOUGH! :lol:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 pm

Cannot agree more! I even remember the times .... way back ... long time ago when I was sitting next to you watching an image rendering (that took forever to render) and you tryed explaining raytracing with all the noance to me and how you could see it. (good times)... When I am correct the thing we're are studieng right now ... or more I am studieng is called ambient occlusion... :ugeek:
But I got to say this ..your brain is truely a rendering engine and such a gift to think and see the world this way ... but I can only imagine that there where hours of hours of hours hard work, dedication and studieng involved.

This exercise was mind bedinding... even with using the grid. Definitely a huge area for improvement for me and one of the things why lots of the images do not work. Perspective in 3D space feels really hard because my brain tries to trick me. Thank you for bringing this up again to my attention and putting me right onto the spot. In the same way it is also humbeling to realize that even those "simple" shapes still trick me. Maybe these are the kind of things for my 10K kicks :shrug:

.... anyway, thank you .. here is my try. c:!

2023_04_15_doodle_031.jpg
2023_04_15_doodle_031.jpg (250.5 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:25 pm

I like yours better than mine! :hihi: VERY COOL! :ob :ob :ob
Yeah, nah, it is damn hard, honestly. But this- in a way- is where the 10k kicks make perfect sense. We go through all these different challenges and every single one of them seems to be hard. Eventually, though, it all will come together and it's all about you being aware of them. There are also countless techniques to achieve things more easily, depending on what's the task. For example, right now we are basically trying to "render" 3D scenes in our head, so to say, considering the global illumination, bounce lights, ambient occlusion, all these things and all of it in perspective. If you wanted to paint a city, you'd go nuts trying to do it in such detail, but then there are other techniques which make it seem ridiculously easy to put down an entire city. Even then with those techniques, if you know how to handle perspective properly and lighting, you'll have an even easier time to work with coarse indications and so on. You are schooling your instincts here and that's fantastic!

Really wonderful stuff and I'm having a blast with you, Dines! :hug: :beer: c:!

Post Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:25 pm

Yikes ...porportion and perspective off ... sometimes I am so deep into the canvas that I see it, when I save it. Maybe have to zoom out a bit ones in a while... but shading a little better maybe a little to soft and a little to dark... not crisp enough... but I really like your texture and interesstion lighting in your painting.

2023_04_14_doodle_030.jpg
2023_04_14_doodle_030.jpg (251.91 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Post Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:29 pm

I guess no it is only 9.999 kicks... decided to do another practise... next week will be a quite week from my site... I have no access to my tablet. Edges too smooth .. not crisp enough blending better more smooth...
But having fun doing these... c:!

2023_04_16_doodle_032.jpg
2023_04_16_doodle_032.jpg (241.94 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Post Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:12 am

nice done ;)
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:58 am

Thank you @zeropainter....

Today was all about exploring shapes, lighting within a room again. Used the functionality of the grid and I have to admit that mirroring the image with F6 give also great insides.
so basically just some experiments today ...

2023_04_25_doodle_033.jpg
2023_04_25_doodle_033.jpg (242.86 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:10 pm

Definitely pearls! 8-) Those experiments are incredibly valuable as the massively strengthen your command over it all. Very well done! c:!
I have to admit, I'm not quite sure about the brown recesses, which are a little confusing. After some careful observation I have managed to recognize them as recesses to begin with, haha. But, yeah, their lighting and shading is a bit unclear. Sometimes it helps to be far more explicit in the beginning.
While all the indirect bounce lighting is what makes things believable and realistic, it's sometimes wise to start off like an old-school rendering, trying to reproduce ordinary direct lighting and shadows without the bounces. It also helps you to truly define the forms and shapes and all that. Once you're done with it and it looks clear and well defined, you can begin to consider the bounces and occlusions. In fact, practically speaking, it's probably best to start with the bounces and end it with the occlusions, while you'll do some of the occlusion already during the bounce light exploration, of course.
Hmmm... hard to tell if I'll stick to this suggestion, hehe, because I might change my mind on the order, but well...it's what I'm thinking right now. My concern is, because usually much of the sketched outlines essentially describe the sharpest of occlusions in shadow or contact areas. Like when you draw a box on the ground, all the lines on the ground are already occlusions. I usually would go there and start smudging them a bit to get a good start on them. So then I'd already have contradicted myself.
But before I confuse you any more, the key info here was to clarify the direct lighting and with that the forms of your objects before you begin bringing more realism into it.

Perspective is great, too, by the way!!! Love the barrel distortion! :ob

Post Mon May 01, 2023 2:52 pm

cool, I saw your old artwork too, I like the plane with the pink bg.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Tue May 02, 2023 8:27 am

Thank you Taron! - you got me a little confused so I had to read at like 2 or 3 times... :D
Thank you Eduardo.

This is todays ... actually it was finished today ... and started on the 28th ... took me longer than I wished ... and probably have optimized things that where already ok ...
so no shapes in a room :uhuhuh:

I tried to play with the second light source and made it appear on the stones and body ... c:!

2023_04_28_doodle_034.jpg
2023_04_28_doodle_034.jpg (250.07 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks