Intars' gallery

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:49 am

Re: Intars' gallery

Eduardo, you enlightened me - never ever had seen previously "Another World" for PC; very interesting art style indeed.
I don't know about Machinarium - starting from around 2007 or 2008 i stopped playing any games (and started to do computer
graphics myself and worked as an artist), also it was the time were i ultimately decided that modern games are just too crazy,
too empty and unfulfilling, too distractive, too narrowly focused on violence for sake of entertainment instead of some philosophical/
imaginative/ or some thought-provoking stories (say, like Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hill or even Resident Evil 1). Seems i like only old
stuff :roll: . But no doubt there are gems in modern days, will have to look up some gameplay videos of this Machinarium on Youtube
and see closer for myself.

Consider this as my explanation of why i most likely will not know / be familiar with some very popular, very artistic and high quality
modern days game ;) . But the subject - painting like art style for games is interesting, it touches creative parts of my mind and i
sympathize with such vision as well. After all, this precise verve-painting that i currently develop in so small, incremental steps started
with idea and inspiration to give for positive memories and a subject of one old, really, really old game and its imaginary virtual world
an artistic and symbolic treatment, while staying somewhat very close pixel-wise to original.
In my former life period, i looked at computer graphics, specifically 8-bit NES, 16-bit SEGA and 32-bit PSX and 90's DOS/PC as an impressive
art form and one that i was able to experience during my life's most free, happy, light period we all know as childhood and very early youth..
when the mind is so impressionable c:! Now, things have certainly changed for me a lot - i don't catch any inspiration anymore from modern
computer graphics to be honest, it just doesn't catches me anymore ...and i stay away from modern heavy games/gaming whatsoever :shrug:
But i do catch a ton of inspiration from old, personally familiar era of computer graphics c:! Now its just a computer science background
that sneaked into composition of my mind and that makes me feel even so much more respectful towards old, ancient CG where stuff most
likely was programmed in Assembler, low-level machine code level which demanded a combination of mastery and patience - something that
i can relate to very much.

Oddworld - oou, what a memories 8-)
Yes, this truly imaginative odd world was captivating for sure. The Odyssey, Exodus. I think there ought to be done some verve-painted
fan-art for Abe and his whole odyssey. If nobody will, maybe i will ..at some point.

Will be interesting to know your reaction once you get the full picture and see what this little gnome-like guy represents and how it fits
the image. I think you might get confused about it somewhat :hihi:

Yesterday i did some more session for pixeling/brushing this vervepaint's way out to finish line with all the slowness and lagging but i need
some few more sessions, so patience. Maybe at the end of January finally it will be finished and uploaded first and foremost here.

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:51 pm

;)

Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 am

dont forget Samorost, and more newer ones like Monument Valley

that modern games are just too crazy,
too empty and unfulfilling, too distractive, too narrowly focused on violence for sake of entertainment instead of some philosophical/
imaginative/ or some thought-provoking stories

I guess it happens to anyone, old people always prefer music from "their" time, my mother used to say that.
I guess it happens the same with games, we all always prefer the games from our childhood I guess, though games from the "dawn of technology era" are sort of classic in my opinion. Still there are great games titles these days, both by stories and by gameplay, though we are not the same careless people with all the time in the world anymore T_T.

Best regards Intars, hope to see that fan art from you.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 am

This thread is oh so much more than a gallery, but if Intars enjoys it, too, I'm having a riot reading your posts!
Ed, there always have been violent games. First game was pong, then it was "kill damn aliens". Before long you had games that got blacklisted in parts of the world for their violence. So, it's not like we're bitter old farts, remembering times when games were all intellectually valuable, artistically inspiring, soul evolving adventures. If anything, that's something which still has to come, hehehehe. Sure, there were some odd balls or unsung gems, but mainstream was always about kill, cut, gain, steal, dominate, compete, destroy. Just like mainstream in every field... :? ...and games are probably even more vicious manipulators.

So, praise be those gorgeous works of art and I'd be thrilled to see talented indi devs go their own way and become truly imaginative and responsible again. Maybe one day I'll have some fun with that again myself, too. :shrug:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:15 pm

Biologically i am not old, currently i count my 35th year of lucky survival on our planet so far. But computer graphics and modern taste's wise sure i am dinosaur.
As everything with computers and internet related - you become obsoleted with your new computer even at the moment when you just about to buy newest one.
And it truly is like that. Hadn't played anything for decade, and suddenly when i see new stuff i am like a vampire obliterated from "the light" :P

Rioting might be good thing, Taron. As much as we like much of old stuff, even much of gems and classics that i would like to somewhat appraise from standpoint
of computer graphics, computer art and development era of CG, with all the innovations, ingenuity and most of all artistic passion --> yes, even with all of that
its truly evident how sadly much of stuff mostly gravitates towards primitive reflexing, violence and competition ego adrenalin pump. Its as if pretty much just a
a few, rare individuals were up to crossing the lamestream and explore non-competitive value landscape for game mechanics!

I want to give one example. Once at one friend's home where he had his IBM PC, i saw him playing SimCity 2000. Love its graphics! The whole game is gem. But
sadly, when i think about it nowadays - ... on a surface the game is the marathon of peace compared even to it's era games, all those crazy shooters. Yet still
evidently the game is about lamestream - build inhumane block-ish, prison-grid like cities, carry on with infinite growth, count the money, count the banking;
practice, get accustomed to, normalize and funny-lize the clerk approach instead of scientific methods for managing such complex system as modern city and
get away with it :? It's a game of primitive, competitive, impulsive, addicted to growth-mania impulses at the end of the day :cry:

Or another more radical example. Who doesn't know C&C Red Alert? Played in my early youth. Played for first time at computer café since hadn't personal computer
at home back then which changed later on with a help and magic of a father's wallet and curiosity to get this thing called 'computer' and have a closer look at it.
Red Alert is outright one, huge violence. I happened to discover just recently that now you can play it online, for free - you get even free installer and it works on
modern OS. For some rare evenings one friend of mine, who is an engineer, invited me to remember this thing from our youth times. Of course, its pretty cool to
have this hassle-free crazy virtual combat - adrenalin works, and everything is cool and fun. But i can't at the same time not to feel sad that after all we did were manipulated
into those dangerous values - all this infinite competition, infinite wars, infinite destruction, so easily. And childhood memories hook up to those game names, experiences and
whoala - you get strange mix.

I certainly do feel that something is missing and it is certainly more collaborative games on difficult topics, such as economy simulators. Imagine having something like Red Alert
only were you are not waging war but building something together, and if there is any sort of combat and struggle than it is against natural law consequences and dynamics. I figure,
why it couldn't be just as thrilling to have simulated experience (online game ;) ) where collaborators by using tools try to build and sustain some difficult logistics, humane economy
process or engineering effort while encountering natural difficulties - earthquakes, power outages, random events, technical failures, planning mistakes instead of focusing interest on
just beating each other. Let the parts of nature dynamics be "the villain" - you can still have your struggle but you don't fight anymore people or other individuals; you learn to simulate
and train collaborative reflexes and curiosity attachment to cooperative mode instead of infinite monkeys in our heads :PP

Of course, monkeys are fun as was Doom and Warcraft (you name your favorites). Of course....

So, i saw that even Civilization and SimCity "do not" cut it - they still focus on competition, annihilation and as Taron rightly pinpoints - to everything lamestream at the end of the day.
(Damn, but i still somewhat love SimCity 2000; just ...can't not to share admiration of its code, of its existence and accomplishment of creating such simulator.)
I heard but never played abut game, called something like Spora or Infuzoria or something biological in its name. Can't remember correctly and too lazy to google-check now. What it
was, if i correctly recall --> some sort of online mmorpg for virtual organic evolution imitation. Something from 2000's. I stopped playing games back then but this thing got into my memory.
I don't know if there also main focus was mainly and mostly on competitive strategies and behavior instead of something also along lines of collaboration but i think that game was
something along "new lines", slightly different from usual gaming environment values. Well, honestly... don't remember precisely but memory "tells" me like that. And by the way, yes, there
most likely might be also few even old gems which did the same - stepped out of lamestream "box".

What i also have been thinking about was slowly manifesting idea that after finally finishing university (i have only diploma work left but its a real struggle and will be for some time), somewhere
"there", in future :P i probably will try to start coding a crude, very ultra primitive prototype of non-competitive/ no-violence game - a simulator of a robotics base economic operations on Moon
with an emphasis on logistics/science of operational research/ resource-indexing and gathering and optimal working with no banking, no human clerks, no politician and ego interference but with
imitations of naturally occurring hardships like sudden failures, electric failures, logistical mistakes, flaws and errors. I learned to appreciate some scientific calculation tools - Matlab / GNU Octave
during university challenges. I know that somewhere long ago, in a dinosaur era there was a SimCity-like game on Amiga console about Moon base were you play an astronauts who build with tools
a base on the Moon and do something. And i am not sure what that "something more" was precisely; never played it myself - just stumbled in a real hurry on a Youtube video. So its not like i invented
anything ;) .
Idea to code myself in very crude primitive way using my favorite tool were you can comfortably do math and scientific computing/programming - GNU Octave, came when i had to face
a semester long homework where we were asked to program simplified so called "expert system". In AI such are called systems that can imitate in some capacities an expert knowledge
in some field. Loud, fancy words away - its just a program that with a lot of manual human work behind the scenes tries to work like expert with some narrow field information and possibly
give predefined alerting suggestions at correct times and only under correct circumstances which human operators may sometimes mistakenly forget. As you can imagine, in a student's home
work version things are quite simple :ud: Well, it happened that i used this assignment as an opportunity back then to start coding something of this imaginary robot Moon base with its operations.
It's a program that kind of asks for user to pick few industrial operations options to perform in imaginary industrial "cycle" on Moon base, and based on input, correlating and analyzing it with few
base parameters, tables like available electric MW "budget", some imaginary specifics like available repair robot count etc. - generates a suggestion or conclusion of ability or inability to perform this or
that user demand. Everything is very crude, simplified there but hey, i have at least some working code in a beautiful console/ no UI version :P

Jaaay

Maybe its not a vervepaint at all, but to give something to look at about said things above, i add this picture of the game of the future, "SimCity" for robot base :P. I have this horrible
tendency to write code in a mixture of English and my native language so maybe even do not try to read the lines, its linguistic combo may work only for me, i guess. Anyways, here is pic:
robot Moon base_code snips_a.JPG
robot Moon base_code snips_a.JPG (166.54 KiB) Viewed 7011 times

Now up to this date i know how to do some pixels in there, so once i finish uni maybe i will pull off some primitive game loop with few pixels and icons. Will see how things will go.
Currently everything is just on my computer, i can't supply demo-environment on web; there is nothing on internet from me on those computer science efforts currently. Only after i
finish the school i might find time to setup future place to share it on net. And maybe pixel art, when it comes to art-level will be created experimentally with some vervepaint in action.

So, that is my point about violent games. To sum up my perspective - as i see it, it would be tremendously positive development if more cooperative, 'build-together' no-wars/no-violence
but engineering or farming or fantasy-constructing themed games would occur and happened to be more demanded and appreciated. I think that classic era, DOS era covered violence
entertainment already and did it pretty good and probably in such status they could serve for infinite wants, desires and reflexes for some combat situations for a long time, for many
generations freeing next generations from a need to create any more new hundreds of violent games, creating maybe only some two, three once in few years, but ultimately turning their
heads in other directions in their gamedev efforts. For me it would be a peacefull vision to see future gamedevs creating smart, math/science/engineering filled games and simulators
while playing old Resident Evil during breaks or some evenings. My soul would say - "i see evolution" to me.

Though Machinarium looks great, i must confess.
But you can beat me with sticks now :ud:

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:37 pm

And i almost forget; since this is verve art gallery after all - here is some another small, hidden-context fragment from my current, long vervepainting project.
Our art, mine as well and for sure, do bear marks and references from games that surely were no paradise of collaboration and empathy values... again you can
beat me with sticks, folks :bow:

I deliberately hid some layers before snipping the screen so not to give out too much of the rest and also this one is not the most important or interesting part either.
But still, maybe the coloring might be of interest to some. What i like here most is how vervepaint UI looks and feels. This is work of art in itself. This is what i do
sometimes when i verve-paint: i take a relax, move some parts of image under UI "glass" panel and have fun just looking at it :P
Attachments
someWorkInProgress6_fragments(2021janv).JPG
someWorkInProgress6_fragments(2021janv).JPG (67.59 KiB) Viewed 7011 times

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:39 pm

OMG, mate...that is a little too much for me to read in one go, but right off the bet: For the last 20 years I feel like computer development is incredibly sluggish, not necessarily regarding hardware, but regarding software for damn sure. Verve soon may be 10 years old and it still is holding its own not too badly. That is tragic! I'm right now exploring webGL, which feels like it's still at exactly the same level as GL has been since Verve. So... the time when actually every week brought a stunning innovation have ceased over 20 years ago in my opinion. What's coming right now has less to do with evolution of programmers than with stepping aside and hoping that neural networks will take things to a more fascinating level. Yes, there still is a demo scene and they do mind-bending things, but... I don't know, it's just not all that and even there it feels like not too much has changed in over a decade.
Yeah, fluid dynamics gradually cease being a novelty, but they themselves have not yet been exploited well enough. I am sort of happy about that, because I'm still all over getting those to the next level. But not in a sense of higher degree of emulation/simulation accuracy. I'm still of that old spirit to make things act creatively in our interest, help us realize our ideas and be inspired by it and what we do with it. I kind of hate, when we take a backseat in the "reality" taxi, assuming that the uncanny valley will satisfy our virtual needs. And now I'm competing with you in writing too much in YOUR thread, haha... sorry about that.
I'll read more later! "Rioting", by the way, turns out to be not quite such a good thing, though. Rage can be adequate, but truly collected minds, driven with care by the heart and a vision for true ideals can lead to the right kind of focus that won't need neither rage nor riots. What we need is to contemplate super hard on what it means to bring heaven to earth and the part that each of us can contribute to that!

Very spooky and ominous, that little sneak-peak! ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:01 am

Intars I encourage you to follow your dreams of non-violent research and gameplay. I used to work for Hewlett-Packard in their old disc drive division and I *guarantee* you that research mindsets like your own are very much needed in this big world. In fact I always viewed the R&D division as the ultimate gameplay because those engineers were payed (very well) to research, experiment, test, develop, play, destroy, etc. new systems, components, tests, etc.

I remember one day I was brought into a lecture room to learn the internal schematics of a new spindle speed controller chip that was going to be used on the upcoming 4GB drives(~ 1994). About half way through the lecture I realized the guy at the front of the room teaching us was the guy who had designed the chip. I talked to him one on one afterwards and thats when I really realized I could do all this too - all those thousands(or millions nowadays) of components inside the chips are not magic at all; it's just engineering. A complex system is just made up of many simple systems.

Good luck!

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:15 pm

Intars wrote:SimCity 2000. Love its graphics! The whole game is gem

Yes SimCity 200 was a gem, unfortunately I didn't have the change to try Civilization 2 back in the days, but I did gamed Caesar II which is a sort of SimCity in the Roman world.
I managed to play it again recently despite all these nowdays versions like TotalWar Rome2, and the like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_TrhcSxmSw
:roll: Yes there is ego, n rage, n plunder, but also strategy, a sort of puzzle in a way, the proximity of buildings rule is more radical than the one of SimCity.

Intars wrote:I have this horrible tendency to write code in a mixture of English and my native language

So, there is a sort of nationalism in your code :hihi:, code, comments, n all? Don't forget about Standardization in the japanesse 5 "S"

Taron wrote:kind of hate, when we take a backseat in the "reality" taxi, assuming that the uncanny valley will satisfy our virtual needs

Hi Taron, about this topic, McLuhan said that new tech always tries to imitate or play the role of previous tech, until it finds its own place, its own way.
That being said, I still firmly believe that CFD must attain certain natural look or complexity, and from there find its own way that is not just a mere mimic of reality.
Btw, I like what I've seen about Rebelle 4, n read that ArtRage 7 will be realeased sort of soon-ish.

Hope you are with good health.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:11 pm

Yes - Verve has hold out pretty nicely software-wise, it still feels like innovative, rare hi-tech tool (certainly for me) ;)
I haven't ever looked up other alternatives, never felt such need not in a slightest - Verve covers everything realistically speaking. How much more we may want from it, especially when
such tool is free to begin with :? And even its free-price aspect aside - it just works and works greatly and liberatingly. So - no need for alternatives :bow:
Software development now is still in its feudal-manual-craftsmanship era so to speak, but that's understandable, that's inevitable so far i guess. Auto-code generating is in its "infant days
stage" (or maybe even earlier, speaking in analogies). So, as with humans - things will take extra time to move considerably forward software engineering-wise. Eehhh, yes - there is certainly
a techno-social lag in software dev instruments and game-changing innovations-wise; we are crawling somewhat. On a good side - Taron, smile; look at Verve and what it can do with not the
most futuristic, most modern, most up-to-hi-tech code content behind it - we still got your fantastic tool! So, no worries. Hail to the "old" code that works :bow:

And huge thanks, borjonx, for encouragements and experience story. Good working place and experience. Sounds like you got your part in "golden" days of PC dev-era about which i could
only read in PC magazines of some sorts, i guess. Always a good read about previous decades computer development stories and histories. Encouragements may prove to be needed and
helpful because you read it right - i am not that clear-sharp with how to pull-off the vision and not drown into millions, gazillions of impossible mini-tasks and complexities and scale. I hesitate.
But i truly, really into trying making it happen.

"nationalistic code" :D - had my laugh of the day!
But no - its not intentional; more like a thought-streamlining ''optimization''.
And eduardobedoya - enlighten me, what is "CFD"?
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks