custom shortcuts issues

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 pm

custom shortcuts issues

Hello there looks like I'm back! :beer:

So I've been using Verve again, and because I got really confident with it I'm now throwing some client work at it! (will post later when done)

There's something though which keeps bugging me, I'm using a Huion kamvas pro (what a beautiful piece of tech btw) coupled with an extra numpad on which I've set all my most used PS keys (see attached)
Thanks to HIDmacros I can do several things, but the real hitter is that it tells my pc that the pad is a whole new keyboard, which means if I hit 9 on the main or 9 or the pad, it will be sent two different commands. This allows for a crazy level of custom inputs. My numlock enabled pad is set for PS, and disabling the numlock the number keys therefore turn into new keys (10, from 0 to 9) and I'd like to use them for Verve.

Here comes the issue;

Although Verve recognizes properly the inputs with modifiers, say shift+f works perfectly, it doesn't recognize the non-modifier inputs like f for fluids. I tried everything but that key won't trigger the dial to show up.
I should work because the input sent is that of the f key from the main keyboard but... nope.

Is there a way to get a quick fix (I know, there's no such things as quick fixes lol) like an .ini file of some sorts that I could drop into the verve folder to override the default bidings? Or is it something that must entered the long list of "next version stuff maybe"?

It doesn't cripple my workflow, but that would make it so smoother, especially because I'm getting used to hide the UI & brush all together, giving it an more real than real feeling (that's so good to paint directly over the canvas!)

That's it! Thanks Taron to still going at it, your software keeps going better and I love it :bow:
Attachments
numpad.jpg
numpad.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
Freelance illustrator, painter aka Pierre Demet, Hell_Cat, Ka-Z
980 / 16go ram / w10 / Huion Kamvas Pro

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Re: custom shortcuts issues

Hey, Ka-Z! Yeah, that seems like it's been a long time. WELCOME BACK! :beer:
Uh, hmm...that is really strange. So...you're saying that a combination like [Shift]+[f] works, but [f] alone doesn't? That is indeed very strange. Makes me wonder what that problem could be?! :shrug:
Have you tried their latest version 2.3?
Anyway, I can't deal with it right this second, but the whole customization is still on the top of my list for sure. I've done a tiny test run in Vervette's Fluid Sandbox, but it only customizes straight keys, not combinations. System is super cool, though, and I will expand it to full combinations, too, I think.
So, yeah, not right now, but you sure have given it an extra bump! :ob

CONGRATULATIONS on doing a commission with Verve, that's super awesome! I'd love to see what you're doing for sure! :hyper:

I hope, you'll get to try Vervette, too. It will very soon show things that Verve hasn't shown, yet, I believe. Now that I have (custom) 16bit export there, too, things are getting really exciting for it. c:!
But all the advanced stuff will go into a commercial release/membership system (one time purchase, not subscription). I need to get back on track, you know. It's coming VERY soon!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Thanks! :D

yup 2.3.0.710 exactly!

the whole customization is still on the top of my list for sure.

Awesome! Especially since HIDmacros doesn't output the space bar, that'll allow me to fine tune - I might actually get a 2nd pad so I can use the whole 17 keys available instead of the 10 nums (for the 5€ it's worth...)

I'd love to see what you're doing for sure!

Chapter pages for a TRPG, I had done them as sketches on PS ages ago and now we're into production, the book format will be landscape, so I gotta expand the images about 40% sideways, and because they're 4yo I'm basically repainting the whole thing in Verve. I know it's still a PS base, but it really feels like I did an underpainting in acrylics in PS, then the real piece over it in Verve - I :rock: it

I saw Vervette project last week, it's a smart move I must say! Though I'll stick to the desktop version for many reasons :)
(btw my Kamvas doesn't play well with it, to a unusable degree. Strokes don't register, at release it links the start and end point by a straight line and won't stop register a stroke until I give a click with the mouse - Want me to help you troubleshoot it on another post?)

It will very soon show things that Verve hasn't shown

Please just tell me you won't drop the ball on Verve for it :shock:

into a commercial release/membership system

For Vervette? Or Verve? Just curious because I would buy a Verve license in a heartbeat

also since you're taking suggestions - a small number of slots to save brush presets? Like here, say there's 4, so each of the 10 brushes I can save 4 different presets - That'd go a long way to insure workflow's consistency :geek:
Attachments
vrv_ui.jpg
vrv_ui.jpg (13.08 KiB) Viewed 7988 times

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pm

Oh no, Verve will still come back for a revival, but it's too complicated to commercialize it right now for me. It's still just 32bit and I have no way of taking it "as is" up to 64bit, making me having to develop at least a different fileIO system along with a number of things I also have to look at more closely. My programming style has evolved so much, I really want to clean it all up. That alone will make things leap forward again.
One big thing for my Verve upgrade will be the entire custom brush system. I will throw away the 0-9 fixed styles and instead put custom brush slots in there by default, but artists can change the keys to their liking later anyway.

As for your browser acting up with your tablet, well... two things: Try it with Chrome, and if you're on Windows, make sure to turn off Windows Ink. That seems to be doing the trick! Other than that...hard to tell. A goal of mine is to let it run perfectly on the IPad and other tablet devices, too.

Post Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:05 am

Ah fair enough! I can paint in peace then
You got me downloading Chrome again hmpf, worked well! (chrome is already uninstalled now lol)

Hmmm can't wait for that sweet custom brush system then, I'll be watching silently from a distance :geek:

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:20 am

Ehehe, I used to dislike Chrome, too, but now I'm very happy I got it. :D

Post Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 am

Oh btw regarding the 32bits thing, what does it mean regarding the performance itself?

I mean is there a hard limit due to this to be taken into account somehow?
The painting I'm doing atm is 3763*2888px and runs absolutely smoothly. I've seen I can't load up a 8000*4000, it just freezes - so I'm poking around a bit everyday. But if there's a specific mark well I'd love to know, it'll save me time :D
Also, because I guess it matters, I never use layers.

My poor 980, bought 2nd hand to a gamer who told me she served him well and now deserved some rest - little did he know I run stuff like 350+ mods skyrim, MagicaVoxel, Verve, ... :bounce:

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:26 am

Haha, my 970 makes me pretty happy already, so I imagine the 980 is quite nice. :ob
Nope, 32bit is just the memory addressing scope for CPU to RAM and doesn't impact the performance speed in Verve's case, because virtually all of its graphics live on the GPU. But it has a size problem when it comes to saving and loading. And that's where your 4000k+ issue comes from, when trying to load it. In fact this is something I should be able to solve, as I promised Knacki many times already. I have to change the way I compress. Currently Verve still tries to create one big bank of data, even if it has chunks of smaller banks inside. That's dumb. Instead I must change the system so that it streams smaller banks into and out of a file. This should in theory solve the trouble, but it also means I may have to gradually fill textures, I guess, which is a bit weird. But I will eventually try that, too.

Also, for processing framebuffers on the GPU it deals with complete images and does not break those into sections, because that would be a fluid nightmare and certainly wouldn't help the performance. Therefore there is a limit to what the GPU can handle. I had figured out how to check the GPU memory, though, and this was quite a revelation to me. I was amazed how little memory those textures take up after all. I imagine 8000x4000 should not be too much trouble, especially if you use only 1 layer! One day I will try to optimize all of this, too. This could mean that texture buffers will only be as big as they need to be. Could mean all sorts of other troubles, but I'd be curious to see how far I could take that. :ugeek:

So, yeah, no worries, Verve will run always as good as the GPU allows it to. :)

Post Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am

And what about number of cores can be used ?
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:24 am

But it has a size problem when it comes to saving and loading.

Yup, I realized that right after posting, when loading the save from yesterday and had grey patches all over :shrug:
Not too much of a deal though, it was mainly in some dark areas already and was solved in a quick hour.

Still, since I'm on a tight one now I'm playing dices ; saved, made a backup file and let the software running with the rig during my soon-to-come sleep session. I noticed my gpu goes idle when I reduce the window which is really nice, I'm confident there won't be any troubles. Not the best solution but I gotta ship tonight and I can't afford to load up a save and have to repaint all that nice stuff I just did (well I could but that'd mean going back to PS, and I really want to finish this one with Verve)

If you're looking for me I'll be helping Knacki printing the petition sheets for compression optimization :beer:

(I am still relieved that it isn't a fatal flaw with no realistic way around)
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]